February 13-15, 2004
Four Points Hotel by Sheraton
San Antonio River Walk North
July 14-17, 2004
Universal City, California
Of Continuing Interest
- Do you value the information and support that you get from Children with Diabetes? Would you like to help? You can by making a donation to Children with Diabetes using PayPal.
- DRI's Holiday Kard Kampaign offers holiday cards drawn by children with diabetes and supports the cure-related research efforts of the Diabetes Research Institute in Miami, Florida.
- Enter the Diabetes Mall Monthly Contest and take a chance to win a Deltec Cozmo insulin pump! The winner will be randomly drawn on November 1, 2003.
- LifeScan has some cool jack-o'-lanterns stencils in their Kids' Clubhouse.
New This Week
- Make plans to join us for the CWD Friends for Life Annual Conference 2004 at the Sheraton Universal, Universal City, California, from July 14-18, 2004. You'll have the time of your life.
- We report on the Fourth Annual Research Update of the Diabetes Research Institute.
- Readers in the Los Angeles area are invited to attend Islets & Stem Cells: From Research to Reality, presented by the Diabetes Research Institute Foundation, on Thursday, November 6, 2003 at 7:30 pm at the Marina Beach Marriott in Marina del Rey, California. Speakers include Dr. Juan Dominguez-Bendala, member of the Pancreatic Stem Cell Development Laboratory, and Gary Kleiman, islet transplant recipient and DRI medical development director. There is no charge, but reservations are required. Please RSVP to Mitch Glickman via email at [email protected]
- 2003 Children with Diabetes Foundation Holiday Greeting Cards are now available and help the CWD Foundation fund research into a cure for type 1 diabetes.
- Rufus and Ruby are featured in the Connect for Kids web site. See also the Rufus and Ruby diaries.
- Summer camps for kids with diabetes that have updated information for the 2004 camping season include:
- Camp Conrad-Chinnock is located in the San Bernadino Mountains near Los Angeles, California, and offers summer and winter camps.
- Camp Cosmo offers a youth resident camp and family day camp for children and youth in Nebraska, Wyoming, and South Dakota.
- Camp Hope provides summer camp for children with diabetes between the ages of 7 and 18 living in Wyoming.
- If you're home on October 31st, stop by the Halloween chat room to share your stories about Trick-or-Treat.
- ADA's Action Center offers information about federal and state legislation that needs your support.
- The FreeStyle Flash, a new meter from TheraSense, is now available in stores. Watch for a review next week.
- Islet transplantation: immunological perspectives.
- Symptoms of Common Maternal Infections in Pregnancy and Risk of Islet Autoimmunity in Early Childhood.
- Identification of a beta-Cell-Specific HLA Class I Restricted Epitope in Type 1 Diabetes.
- Counterregulatory Hormone and Symptom Responses to Insulin-Induced Hypoglycemia in the Postprandial State in Humans.
- The relationship between insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus and acute infections in children.
- Prevalence of Delayed Gastric Emptying in Diabetic Patients and Relationship to Dyspeptic Symptoms.
- Effect of Type 1 Diabetes on the Gender Difference in Coronary Artery Calcification: a Role for Insulin Resistance? The Coronary Artery Calcification in Type 1 Diabetes (CACTI) Study.
- Rapamycin Has a Deleterious Effect on MIN-6 Cells and Rat and Human Islets.
- Islet autoantibodies in cord blood from patients who developed type 1 diabetes mellitus at 15-30 years of age.
- Complications in Young Adults With Early-Onset Type 2 Diabetes: Losing the relative protection of youth.
- Sustained effect of intensive treatment of type 1 diabetes mellitus on development and progression of diabetic nephropathy: the Epidemiology of Diabetes Interventions and Complications (EDIC) study.
- Comparability of venous and capillary glucose measurements in blood.
- Timing of Changes in Interstitial and Venous Blood Glucose Measured With a Continuous Subcutaneous Glucose Sensor.
- Alternative routes of insulin delivery.
- Is overweight in patients with type 1 diabetes in the puberty a problem?
- Pramlintide Reduces Postprandial Glucose Excursions When Added to Regular Insulin or Insulin Lispro in Subjects With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Insulin Detemir Is Characterized by a Consistent Pharmacokinetic Profile Across Age-Groups in Children, Adolescents, and Adults With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Sustained Effect of Intensive Treatment of Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus on Development and Progression of Diabetic Nephropathy.
- General Quality of Life in Youth With Type 1 Diabetes.
- The Insulin Pump in Infants and Young Children.
- Counseling Diabetic Patients About Alcohol Use.
- Anaemia in patients with diabetes: unrecognised, undetected and untreated? See also Anaemia in Diabetics Often Unrecognised, Undetected, and Untreated.
- The Treat-to-Target Trial: Randomized addition of glargine or human NPH insulin to oral therapy of type 2 diabetic patients.
- American Dental Association/Colgate course addresses special oral health needs of diabetics. See also Considerations for Treating the Dental Patient With Diabetes.
- Celiac diet: Its impact on quality of life.
- California Law Guarantees In-Classroom Testing.
- Diagnosing and Treating Type 1 Diabetes is a video presentation.
- Diabetes at Ramadan.
- Diabetics can feast, fast during Diwali & Ramzan.
- Last week's poll asked readers how their HbA1c has changed in the past year. This week's poll asks readers about their Halloween plans.
- Our featured page from The Diabetes Monitor is Traveling with Insulin.
- Brand New from Ascensia Breeze Meter only $9.95 after $40 Manufacturer's rebate from Diabetic Express! Easy testing. Single-function buttons are easy-to-use and understand No more fumbling with individual test strips. One easy-to-load Ascensia "AUTODISC" includes 10 individual test strips with no coding required Comfortable and convenient shape. Fits perfectly in the palm of your hand and is stable for table-top testing too Get accurate results quickly. Automatic coding and underfill detection You need just a tiny blood drop because the test strip automatically draws in the right amount - that's called "Sip-in Sampling" Saves information for up to 100 tests! Please visit Diabetic Express to see our complete line of over 1000 other Diabetes supplies. Diabetic Express is the proud Online Store partner of Children with Diabetes and Diabetes 123.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Needles: A Memoir of Growing Up With Diabetes by Andie Dominick.
- Our section on Infusion Sets is Worth a Look.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Sunday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
|Return to the Top of This Page|
Last Updated: Thursday January 22, 2015 14:28:00
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.