September 27-29, 2002
Crystal Mountain Resort
January 3-5, 2003
Sheraton El Conquistador Resort
Of Continuing Interest
- Our Quilt for Life continues to grow, with 278 quilts online. You can now view quilts in the Online Gallery by quilt number, last name, and first name, to make it easier to find a quilt for someone you know. If you have not yet made a quilt square, please do so. We need hundreds more squares to really show the impact of type 1 diabetes. See the Quilt Submission Form for details.
- The Diabetes Research Institute Foundation is seeking original artwork from kids for use in holiday cards. First prize is a $200 scholarship toward the CWD conference next year. See also Holiday Card Contest.
- You can once again purchase Children with Diabetes polo shirts and event-related t-shirts online at our CWD Shirt Store.
- The International Diabetes Youth Ambassadors are a group open to all young people worldwide who desire to make positive change in the lives of people with diabetes, as well as help find a cure for diabetes. Children With Diabetes offers us the unique opportunity to share information about how diabetes is handled around the world. While much of this information is already shared through the outstanding educational information offered on the Children With Diabetes site, this on-line group will give kids and teens a chance to communicate as a team. Our focus will be on educating each other and acting as a support network and inspiration for those kids who might want to get involved, but don't know where to start. Please write in, share your story, and "Join Us" in the ground breaking developement of this group!
New This Week
- Jim McCord is running cross-country from San Diego to Washington, D.C. to call attention to the need for increased federal funding for diabetes research. His schedule for the next two weeks is:
- September 12 - Louisville, Kentucky
- September 15 - Frankfort, Kentucky
- September 18 - Lexington, Kentucky
If you live near this route, please take the time to meet up with Jim and offer him encouragement (or a home-cooked meal). Jim can be reached via e-mail at [email protected] via cell phone at (859) 512-1550.
- We're considering launching a free, web-based e-mail service and would like your opinion of such a service.
- Join Steph Schwartz, Pediatric Diabetes Nurse Specialist, for a special Back to School Chat on Monday, September 9th at 9pm Eastern in the "Back to School" room.
- Read the transcript from our special International Diabetes Youth Ambassador chat held on Saturday, September 7th.
- The Diabetes Australia - Queensland web site caters to the needs of people with diabetes, health professionals and the general public in Queensland, Australia.
- High and low hemoglobin glycation phenotypes in type 1 diabetes. A challenge for interpretation of glycemic control.
- Insulin resistance and atherosclerosis in diabetes mellitus.
- Eiffel Technologies Announces Breakthrough Insulin Study.
- The DPT-1 trial: a negative result with lessons for future type 1 diabetes prevention.
- Hybrid insulin cocrystals for controlled release delivery. See also New Insulin Formulation Could Steady Glucose Control.
- Impaired primary immune response in type-1 diabetes: results from a controlled vaccination study.
- Type-2 diabetes family history delays the onset of type-1 diabetes.
- Anticardiolipin antibodies in children with insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus.
- Diabetic kidneys can safely expand the donor pool.
- Continuous subcutaneous insulin infusion in the treatment of children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Less severe hypoglycaemia, better metabolic control, and improved quality of life in Type 1 diabetes mellitus with continuous subcutaneous insulin infusion (CSII) therapy; an observational study of 100 consecutive patients followed for a mean of 2 years.
- Children with type 1 diabetes: where are we at?
- Predictors of glycaemic control and hypoglycaemia in children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes from NSW and the ACT.
- Disposal of syringes, needles, and lancets used by diabetic patients in North East Essex.
- The Continuous Glucose Monitoring System (CGMS) in type 1 diabetic children is the way to reduce hypoglycemic risk.
- Continuous glucose monitoring in managing diabetes in children.
- California Assembly Sends American Diabetes Association School Diabetes Care Legislation to Governor Davis.
- In Kapche v. City of San Antonio, the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals ruled that employers can no longer reject an applicant for employment based upon a diagnosis of diabetes. Rather, each person with diabetes must be treated as an individual and be judged based on what he or she is capable of doing. See also Landmark Texas Decision Opens Doors to Employment and Diabetics get break on hiring.
- Diabetes sufferer denied pre-schooling in Bermuda.
- High school football player deals with diabetes.
- Youngster spreads word about diabetes.
- A three-month-old girl from Ottawa has been chosen as the first North American participant in the largest Canadian pediatric clinical study on preventing Type 1 diabetes.
- Future Detection Devices Hold Promise, Experts Warn Against Hype.
- New thoughts about causes of diabetes.
- Researchers hold the answer.
- British diabetic team attempts to complete long trek across the Antarctic. See also The Ultimate Walk.
- BoldStatement.tv will be hosting live streaming video, journal updates and race data from John Dennis' around the world voyage. John is participating in the 2002/03 Around Alone race as the skipper of the Bayer Ascensia. John will be making history with this race as the first skipper with diabetes to compete in a solo global yacht race.
- TV link to doctors.
- Per Serving wants the food editors of America's newspapers, magazines and food web sites to publish these nutrition facts on every recipe they print.
- Last week's poll asked readers if someone at their child's school administer glucagon if needed. This week's poll asks our readers who use pumps how often they use an extended, square wave, or dual wave bolus.
- The Featured Product of the Week is the A1cNow Hemoglobin A1c Test, the first ever prescription at home test for HbA1c. Act now and receive a $1.00 discount off the purchase price of the single pack or a $2.00 discount off the two pack!
- The Featured Book of the Week is Putting Your Patients on the Pump by Karen M. Bolderman, RD, LD, CDE.
- News from the 62nd Annual American Diabetes Association Meeting is Worth a Look.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Sunday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
|Return to the Top of This Page|
Last Updated: Thursday January 22, 2015 14:27:57
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.