Upcoming CWD Conferences
Friends for Life® Falls Church 2017
October 6-8, 2017
Fairview Park Marriott
Falls Church, Virginia
Friends for Life® UK 2017
October 27-29, 2017
Windsor, United Kingdom
Friends for Life® Orlando 2018
July 10-15, 2018
Disney's Coronado Springs Resort
New This Week
- We've updated our forums to use a more modern system and to include our new look.
- Last week's poll asked our readers if they use a continuous glucose monitoring system. This week's poll asks our readers if their diabetes care teams let them choose their diabetes care products.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Why Me? Why Did I Have To Get Diabetes? by Robert Messinger and Laura Messinger.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
My non-D daughter was writing with a mechanical pencil and constantly having trouble with the lead (the kind you insert at the writing point of the pencil). She said, "Mom, this pencil needs a new lancet!"
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when the coffee pot or other kitchen appliance beeps and your child says, "That wasn't me!" (Quote from my 3 year old after beginning pumping.) See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
My college aged son has developed several cysts and A1c has gone up over 8. Is there a relationship between the cysts and his higher A1c? Are the cysts a sign of infection or cancer? Are they anything urgent?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Neurotic Blood Sugar Checking
Conferences and Events
- The Diabetes Training Camp Foundation is hosting a Teen Boot Camp from December 1-3, 2017 in Lancaster, PA.
Support, Advocacy, and Education
- Diabetes Patients’ New Challenge: Non-Medical Switching.
- The Affordable Insulin Project seeks to make access to insulin more affordable for all.
Studies, Focus Groups, and Surveys
- Researchers at Yale University are seeking parents of kids ages 11-16 with type 1 diabetes to evaluate a new web site called "Type 1 Teamwork." You can earn up to $50 for participating. To learn more or see if you are eligible to participate, visit type1teamwork.com/register or contact Roberta Delvy at (203) 737-7209 or via email at .
General Diabetes Information
- REMOVAL Update: More Benefits of Metformin in T1D.
Products, Services and Books
- 670G and Me: Insights and Incites on Medtronic’s Latest System.
- Lilly Launches Humalog Junior KwikPen in the US.
Diabetes in Social Media
- FDA Approves Fast-Acting Fiasp Insulin.
- Trooper with Type 1 Helps Motorist with Diabetes During Bad Hypo.
- Type 1 Diabetes is No Match for MMA Fighter Anna Hyvärinen.
- My Son’s Type 1 Diabetes Inspired Me to Lower My Own A1C.
- Patient Voices Winner Helps Those with Eating Disorders and Diabetes.
- Chasing the Dream to Become a Pilot with Diabetes.
- A Mysterious Low Blood Sugar.
- I Nearly Died from DKA.
- What the Heck Is Ketoacidosis?
- Why You Should Return to Diabetes Advocacy.
- The Neighborhood KNOW Foods Party.
- The shape of the glucose concentration curve during an oral glucose tolerance test predicts risk for type 1 diabetes.
- In Silico Modeling of Minimal Effective Insulin Doses Using the UVA/PADOVA Type 1 Diabetes Simulator.
- Self-reported hypoglycemia in insulin-treated patients with diabetes: Results from an international survey on 7289 patients from nine countries.
- The Financial Impact of Inaccurate Blood Glucose Monitoring Systems. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Does funded research reflect the priorities of people living with type 1 diabetes? A secondary analysis of research questions. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Self-stigma of Patients with Type 1 Diabetes and Their Coping Strategies.
- The impact of ethnicity, educational and economic status on the prescription of insulin therapeutic regimens and on glycemic control in patients with type 1 diabetes. A nationwide study in Brazil.
- Trends in the use and cost of human and analogue insulins in a Colombian population, 2011-2015.
- Efficacy of a point-of-care test based on deamidated gliadin peptides for the detection of celiac disease in pediatric patients. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Increased prevalence of fracture and hypoglycaemia in young adults with concomitant type 1 diabetes mellitus and coeliac disease.
- Low-gluten, non-transgenic wheat engineered with CRISPR/Cas9. See also Scientists Gene-Edited Gluten to Make Wheat for People With Celiac Disease and Could a GMO Wheat Bring Bread to Celiac Sufferers?
- We have a list of Gluten Free Halloween Candy for families living with celiac.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Teal Pumpkin Project: Alternative Halloween treats for kids with allergies, diabetes or other needs.
- Model predicts performance of glucose-responsive insulin.
- Boy Living With Type 1 Diabetes Excels on Baseball Diamond.
- Diabetes Ambassador Emily Wilson plans big adventure with Jerry the Bear.
- Why Bigfoot Biomedical’s CEO thinks the diabetes industry has a data problem.
- Novo Nordisk Receives FDA Approval for Fiasp®, a New Fast-Acting Mealtime Insulin.
- No More Routine Finger Sticks for Americans with Diabetes: Abbott′s FreeStyle® Libre Approved in the U.S.. See also FDA approves first continuous glucose monitoring system for adults not requiring blood sample calibration and How Abbott's Big Win Crushed DexCom Shares.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail
Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Like Us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Your Generous Donation
Allows Us To Help Families
With Type 1 Diabetes
|Return to the Top of This Page|
Last Updated: Wednesday October 04, 2017 21:14:59
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.