Upcoming CWD Events
Friends for Life® Falls Church 2017
October 6-8, 2017
Fairview Park Marriott
Falls Church, Virginia
New This Week
- Our report from Friends for Life® Orlando 2017 includes thousands of photos.
- Last week's poll asked our readers if diabetes has affected their children who do not have it. This week's poll asks our readers who drive how often they check their blood sugar before they drive.
- The Featured Book of the Week is The Fight to Survive: A Young Girl, Diabetes, and the Discovery of Insulin by Caroline Cox.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
We just put an in-ground pool in our backyard this summer. One day, I was testing the pool for chlorine and ph balance. My 9 year old daughter saw me put the testing strip in and compare it to the colours on the bottle. She then asked, "Does the pool have ketones?"
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when instead of whispering "sweet nothings" to each other in the middle of the night, you and your spouse are talking about blood sugar numbers. See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
My son was diagnosed with type 1 four months ago. After his first dose of Focalin for his ADHD, his blood sugar was elevated after breakfast. Is it related to the medication?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Compliant vs. Noncompliant
Studies, Focus Groups, and Surveys
- What Do You Think about the Price of Insulin? Take this short survey for a chance to win a $25 Starbucks gift card.
- Researchers at Yale University are seeking parents of kids ages 11-16 with type 1 diabetes to evaluate a new web site called "Type 1 Teamwork." You can earn up to $50 for participating. To learn more or see if you are eligible to participate, visit type1teamwork.com/register or contact Roberta Delvy at (203) 737-7209 or via email at .
Diabetes in Social Media
- Guest Post: People with Diabetes are Demonstrating for #insulin4all.
- Dexcom Begins Shipping First Medicare G5 CGM Bundles.
- Metabolic and immune effects of immunotherapy with proinsulin peptide in human new-onset type 1 diabetes. Free full text available in PDF format. See also Pioneering type 1 diabetes therapy safe.
- Long-term Hyperglycemia Naturally Induces Dental Caries But Not Periodontal Disease in Type-1 and Type-2 Diabetic Rodents.
- Impact of monitoring health-related quality of life in clinical practice in children with type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Sense of coherence, self-esteem, and health locus of control in subjects with type 1 diabetes mellitus with/without satisfactory metabolic control.
- Management of diabetes mellitus in children and adolescents: engaging in physical activity. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- REPOSE: repositioning insulin pump therapy in Type 1 diabetes.
- Factors Associated with Greater Benefit of a National Reimbursement Policy for Blood Glucose Test Strips in Adult Patients with Type 1 Diabetes: A Prospective Cohort Study.
- Celiac Disease and Increased Risk of Pneumococcal Infection: a Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Kettering mother says her daughter was not permitted on water slides due to insulin pump.
- 19 cyclists end in Rutherford after riding across U.S.
- Noah marches through Eagle County: 11-year-old walking across America to raise Type I Diabetes awareness.
- Mountain biker won't let diabetes get in the way as he crosses the 'Great Divide'.
- INHEAVEN bassist Chloe Little on being diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes.
- The CEO of the world’s largest diabetes drugmaker says insulin pricing will change — it will just be slower than expected.
- With an eye on the FDA, Lexicon and Sanofi line up more positive data on diabetes drug.
- Tandem Diabetes Care Begins Enrollment in Pivotal Trial for First Touchscreen Insulin Pump with Predictive Low Glucose Suspend (PLGS).
Receive the What's New page via E-mail
Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Like Us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Your Generous Donation
Allows Us To Help Families
With Type 1 Diabetes
|Return to the Top of This Page|
Last Updated: Wednesday August 16, 2017 19:21:07
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.