Upcoming CWD Conferences
Friends for Life® Anaheim 2017
May 5-7, 2017
Friends for Life® Orlando 2017
July 4-9, 2017
Disney's Coronado Springs Resort
DSF Family and Individual Scholarships
Of Continuing Interest
- The Diabetes Scholars Foundation is now accepting applications for it's 2017 college scholarship program. DSF college scholarships are open to high school seniors with type 1 diabetes and who are US citizens or permanent residents. The deadline to apply is midnight April 15, 2017. DSF offers many scholarships. There is one application and students will be considered for those scholarships that match them. To apply, please visit http://diabetesscholars.org/college-scholarship/.
New This Week
- Last week's poll asked our pump users how many different basal rates they have on their main pump profile. This week's poll asks our pump users about their preferred infusion set.
- The Featured Book of the Week is The Smart Woman's Guide to Diabetes by Amy Stockwell Mercer.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
My daughter Sarah went to a party last weekend. She was getting ready to leave and a guy called her over and asked, "So why are you wearing your garage door opener?" He actually did know what it was. It was her insulin pump.
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when you reach under his blankets to find the remote to turn of his T.V. and accidentally grab his pump instead! See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
My daughter is on MDI, a CGM. She gets morning Lantus, is sometimes high when school ends in the early afternoon. Should I be doing more? Should we try to get a pump? We are in Curacao, have limited access to a doctor.
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Parents outside of Canada and US - any experience with the Freestyle Libre?
Conferences and Events
- A New Weekend Conference Retreat for Adults with Type 1 Diabetes.
- The Diabetes Empowerment Foundation presents the 7th annual Students With Diabetes / Young Adults With Diabetes National Conference, to be held from Friday, May 26 to Sunday, May 28, 2017 at the Renaissance Orlando at Sea World in Orlando, Florida.
Support and Advocacy
- Stand Up For Affordable Insulin is an advocacy project of the American Diabetes Association.
- MasterLab Leadership Institute will be an intensive, exciting, weekend conference featuring expert mentorship, leadership development, and social entrepreneurship workshops to support leaders implementing positive changes for the greater diabetes community, to be held in the Bay Area, in northern California, from Friday, March 31 through Sunday, April 2nd.
Studies, Focus Groups, and Surveys
- Children Diagnosed Within the Last Two Years Needed for Study.
- Parents' perspective on self-management of type 1 diabetes among their adolescent children needs your input.
- Diabetes Usability Study: Patients and Caregivers needed.
Diabetes in Social Media
- Meet the New Chief Science Guy at the American Diabetes Association.
- The Highland Cow Edition.
- Updated 24-year trend of Type 1 diabetes incidence in children in Poland reveals a sinusoidal pattern and sustained increase.
- Using in vivo corneal confocal microscopy to identify diabetic sensorimotor polyneuropathy risk profiles in patients with type 1 diabetes. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Leptin Levels in Patients with Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus After Fetal Pancreatic Stem Cell Transplant.
- Association of Type 1 Diabetes vs Type 2 Diabetes Diagnosed During Childhood and Adolescence With Complications During Teenage Years and Young Adulthood.
- Performance of the FreeStyle Libre Flash glucose monitoring system in patients with type 1 and 2 diabetes mellitus. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- A Clinical Trial of the Accuracy and Treatment Experience of the Flash Glucose Monitor FreeStyle Libre in Adults with Type 1 Diabetes.
- Increasing the protein quantity in a meal results in dose-dependent effects on postprandial glucose levels in individuals with Type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Sensor-Augmented Insulin Pumps and Hypoglycemia Prevention in Type 1 Diabetes.
- High-intensity Exercise in Men with Type 1 Diabetes and Mode of Insulin Therapy.
- Poor Vitamin C Status Late in Pregnancy Is Associated with Increased Risk of Complications in Type 1 Diabetic Women: A Cross-Sectional Study. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Insulin dose analysis during pregnancy in type 1 diabetic patients treated with insulin pump therapy.
- A Randomized Controlled Study of an Insulin Dosing Application That Uses Recognition and Meal Bolus Estimations.
- Establishing the feasibility of a community and primary health care intervention to raise awareness of symptoms of Type 1 Diabetes-The Early Detection of Type 1 Diabetes in Youth (EDDY) study.
- Psychological Manifestations of Celiac Disease in Children: Differences Noted Pre- and Post-Diagnosis.
- Maternal use of dietary supplements during pregnancy is not associated with coeliac disease in the offspring: The Environmental Determinants of Diabetes in the Young (TEDDY) study.
- Large population study shows that adolescents with celiac disease have an increased risk of multiple autoimmune and non-autoimmune comorbidities.
- 15 Women Describe What It's REALLY Like to Have Celiac Disease.
Legal, Legislative, and Policy
- Opening Up the Black Box on PBMs (Pharmacy Benefit Managers).
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Lilly Diabetes Becomes 'Official Diabetes Health Partner of NASCAR.
- Madrid's Nacho on diabetes: 'I was told my footballing days were over'.
- With diabetes under control, pitcher Dylan Covey tries to stick with White Sox.
- Stars owner Tom Gaglardi’s fight to cure diabetes is motivated by one thing, his son .
- Diabetes no match for Vikings' Muxlow.
- How a small device could change the lives of Type 1 Diabetics.
- Tandem Diabetes Care Launches First Ever Remote Software Update for Insulin Pump using a Personal Computer.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail
Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Like Us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Your Generous Donation
Allows Us To Help Families
With Type 1 Diabetes
|Return to the Top of This Page|
Last Updated: Tuesday March 14, 2017 18:46:23
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.