Upcoming CWD Conferences
Friends for Life® Anaheim 2017
May 5-7, 2017
Friends for Life® Orlando 2017
July 4-9, 2017
Disney's Coronado Springs Resort
Of Continuing Interest
- The Teal Pumpkin Project helps make sure all children will come home on Halloween night with something they can enjoy, including kids with food allergies. This is a great alternative to candy for kids with type 1 diabetes or celiac.
New This Week
- Last week's poll asked readers what they use most often to treat hypoglycemia. This week's poll asks our readers about when during the day they are most concerned with hypoglycemia.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Diabetes Through the Looking Glass: Seeing diabetes from your child's perspective by Dr Rachel Besser.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
One evening, after dinner, our daughter who has diabetes asked me to get her some Hershey's Kisses to eat. I grabbed the bag as her siblings also asked for some. I gave two to her sister, then I gave my daughter two. She said, "Please give me another one; I bolused for three." Her non-diabetic sister quickly chimed it, "Well, I bolused for five."
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when your six-year-old child announces that she didn't get high at that party and you know exactly what she meant, but the person next to you just looks at the two of you with a concerned face. See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
How important is pre-bolusing?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
OmniPod users, how often do you change them?
Conferences and Events
- Riding on Insulin offers wonderful one-day ski and snowboard camps for kids ages 7-17 living with type 1 diabetes and their siblings.
Support and Advocacy
- Applications for JDRF 2017 Children’s Congress are now online. This is a great way to get involved with national advocacy efforts. Apply by December 1, 2016.
Fundraising and Awareness
- Join Logan's Elbow Bump Challenge to raise money to support our Friends for Life Orlando 2017 conference. (See also the instructions.) One suggestion is to hold a Hat Day at School on November 14th. Learn more -- including the origin of the elbow bump -- at the Elbow Bump Challenge blog.
- The Blue Streak Challenge brings attention to Diabetes Awareness Month. See also the Blue Streak Facebook page.
- Join the Big Blue Test and help raise funds for two wonderful non-profits.
Diabetes Videos and Podcasts
- Adam Brown - Talks at Livongo about the factors that contribute to blood glucose levels. (This video is worth your time.)
- The Helmsley Charitable Trust seeks a Program Officer to directly support the T1D Program Director within an evolving grant portfolio addressing next generation questions health care models that will improve outcomes for people with T1D.
Diabetes in Social Media
- Your Diabetes Voter's Guide for Election 2016.
- The Grandparent's Guide to T1D. (Note: Our Friends for Life® Orlando 2017 conference has a dedicated grandparents track.)
- CheckB4U Drive Hitting Gas Pedal on Teen Diabetes Driving School.
- Until There’s a Diabetes Cure, We Need Better Tools.
- What is Diabetes Distress?
- What It’s Like Being a Mother with Type 1 Diabetes.
- The Engines of Chronic Care: Hardware and Heartware.
- What is a Diabetic Seizure? Know the Signs and Symptoms.
- Using uncertain data from body-worn sensors to gain insight into type 1 diabetes. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Pharmacokinetic Properties of Liraglutide as Adjunct to Insulin in Subjects with Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus.
- Higher skin autofluorescence in young people with Type 1 diabetes and microvascular complications.
- Phototherapy and Risk of Type 1 Diabetes.
- Effects of advanced carbohydrate counting guided by an automated bolus calculator in Type 1 diabetes mellitus (StenoABC): a 12-month, randomized clinical trial.
- Clinical outcomes in youth beyond the first year of type 1 diabetes: Results of the Pediatric Diabetes Consortium (PDC) type 1 diabetes new onset (NeOn) study.
- Low Carbohydrate Diet Impairs the Effect of Glucagon in the Treatment of Insulin-Induced Mild Hypoglycemia: A Randomized Cross-Over Study.
- I Should but I Can't: Controlled Motivation and Self-Efficacy Are Related to Disordered Eating Behaviors in Adolescents With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Impact of diabetes education on type 1 diabetes mellitus control in children.
- Risk of future microvascular and macrovascular disease in people with Type 1 diabetes of very long duration: a national study with 10-year follow-up.
- Type 1 diabetes in older adults: Comparing treatments and chronic complications in the United States T1D Exchange and the German/Austrian DPV registries.
- Dietary sugars versus glucose tablets for first-aid treatment of symptomatic hypoglycaemia in awake patients with diabetes: a systematic review and meta-analysis. See also Glucose tablets likely better for easing low blood sugar symptoms.
- Influence of HbA1c and BMI on Lipid Trajectories in Youths and Young Adults With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Prepregnancy Weight in Women with Type I Diabetes Mellitus: Effect on Pregnancy Outcomes.
- Effectiveness of HypoAware, a Brief Partly Web-Based Psychoeducational Intervention for Adults With Type 1 and Insulin-Treated Type 2 Diabetes and Problematic Hypoglycemia: A Cluster Randomized Controlled Trial.
- Long-term Mortality and End-Stage Renal Disease in a Type 1 Diabetes Population Diagnosed at Age 15–29 Years in Norway.
- Predictors of electrocardiographic abnormalities in type 1 Diabetes: the Wisconsin Epidemiologic Study of Diabetic Retinopathy.
- Budget Impact of Treating Commercially Insured Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes Patients in the United States with Insulin Degludec Compared to Insulin Glargine.
- Diabetic ketoacidosis in a pediatric intensive care unit. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Children With Celiac Disease: Health-Related Quality of Life and Leisure Participation.
- Extra-intestinal Manifestations of Celiac Disease: Effectiveness of the Gluten Free Diet.
- Exposure assessment to fumonisins B1, B2 and B3 through consumption of gluten-free foodstuffs intended for people affected by celiac disease.
- Prevalence of celiac disease in Indian children with type 1 diabetes.
- Properties of Gluten Intolerance: Gluten Structure, Evolution, Pathogenicity and Detoxification Capabilities. Free full text available in HTML and PDF via link.
- Starting a Gluten-Free Conversation in the Dining Hall.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Jay teachers' intuition leads to juvenile diabetes diagnosis.
- We finally have an “artificial pancreas” for diabetics. But it's a letdown.
- UW students start first type 1 diabetic support group on campus.
- Carnegie Mellon’s Sam Benger balances football, diabetes.
- Against all odds, Wampum woman survives for a half century with Type 1 diabetes.
- New Beaver woman recognized for 50 years with Type I diabetes.
- Lake students tackle larger mission with National Honor Society project.
- Long time diabetic frustrated over rising insulin costs. See also Diabetes patients see insulin price skyrocket.
- New type of insulin reports on Afrezza.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail
Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Like Us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Your Generous Donation
Allows Us To Help Families
With Type 1 Diabetes
|Return to the Top of This Page|
Last Updated: Tuesday October 25, 2016 14:52:13
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.