Upcoming CWD Conferences
Friends for Life® Orlando 2016
July 5-10, 2016
Orlando World Center Marriott
Fourth of July with CWD Fundraiser
You're a CWD Star!
Docu-Diabetes II Call for Movies
DSF Family and Individual Scholarships
Friends for Life® Anaheim 2016
September 16-18, 2016, 2016
Of Continuing Interest
- Suspend Medicare's Dangerous Competitive Bidding Program for Diabetes Testing Supplies. This is very important.
- Type 1 Diabetes Counselor/Assistant Needed For All Girls Camp in the Berkshires.
New This Week
- Our Community Stories.
- T1D Exchange Data Shows Patients Want Choice in Devices and Therapies.
- Last week's poll asked readers if they have a diabetes emergency kit. This week's poll asks our readers if they or their child has been screened for monogenic diabetes.
- The Featured Book of the Week is The Discovery of Insulin by Michael Bliss.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
Our youngest group of campers at Camp Koral Kids in Coral Springs, Florida are 5 and 6 years old, but have the wit and wisdom of adults. Diabetes education is an important component of camp and we try to incorporate it in all we do. When quizzing the little ones on diabetes concepts we get all kinds of great responses, but the best one by far was their response to the question of what we check for when our blood sugar is above 240. Their group response was "PEE-tones"! Kind of sums it all up, huh?
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when your husband comes in and asks your child what they are up to and they respond "176" instead of "playing." See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
My daughter was put on high dose estrogen pills for severe menstrual bleeding. Her blood sugars then went up, as did her A1c. Was this an appropriate treatment for a teen with type 1? Blood work also shows her AST is elevated from taking the pills. Do I need to worry about liver damage?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
- Camp Kudzu seeks adult male volunteers to serve as camp counselors from June 4-10 and June 11-17. Details can be found at www.campkudzu.org/volunteers/at-camp/. The online application is accessible at campkudzu.campmanagement.com/p/register_staff.php. Contact Ashley Conant, [email protected], for more information.
Conferences and Events
- You still have time to recommend your family for a Free Family Diabetes weekend.
Studies, Focus Groups, and Surveys
- TrialReach offers a central source for searching for diabetes clinical trials in the United States.
- Teens with T1D: Considering the insulin pump or CGM? You're needed in a new study about shared decision making with your parents. Learn more at https://apps.nemoursresearch.org/redcap/surveys/?s=ALNAPAR7T7
- PERL (Preventing Early Renal Loss in Diabetes) is a clinical trial for people with type 1 diabetes who have early signs of kidney problems. The goal is to test a new way to reduce loss of kidney function using a safe and inexpensive medicine. We are seeking adults (age 18 or older) with type 1 diabetes to participate in our study. Please sign up if you are eligible.
Diabetes Care Products and Apps
- Join a Webinar on the Artificial Pancreas: A Dialogue between the FDA and the Diabetes Community at 2:00 pm Eastern on June 2, 2016.
- The Libre verdict.
- Senseonics Receives European Approval for Eversense 90-Day Implantable CGM.
- The OpenOmni initiative seeks your help in developing open source software to communicate with the OmniPod so it can be used in the OpenAPS project.
- Diabetes Technology Society Cybersecurity Standard for Connected Diabetes Devices.
Diabetes in Social Media
- Getting to Glucose Responsive Insulin – How “Smart” Will It Be?
- Depression, Alcohol and the Night I Almost Died.
- Why Should I Apply for Disability in College?
- Diabetes Camp Is Good For You Too.
- Life Expectancy Increases for People with Type 1.
- FDA Plans to Rethink “Healthy” Food.
Diabetes Videos and Podcasts
- DiabeteSpeaks, Episode 10: Lessons from the Cultural and Generational Gap.
- Available September 2016: T1D College Graduate Wanted - Jackson, Wyoming
Our adventurous family is looking for a Type 1D to join our team for 9-12 months. Housing & utilities provided in exchange for about 15 hours of child care each week for a 7-year-old and 6-year-old, both with type 1 diabetes. You must be family oriented, an outstanding T1 role model and like the outdoor mountain town lifestyle. Tell us about yourself and we will send you a detailed job description. We can be reached via email at [email protected]
- Efficacy of an Overnight Predictive Low-Glucose Suspend System in Relation to Hypoglycemia Risk Factors in Youth and Adults With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Automated Overnight Closed-Loop Control Using a Proportional-Integral-Derivative Algorithm with Insulin Feedback in Children and Adolescents with Type 1 Diabetes at Diabetes Camp.
- Automated hybrid closed-loop control with a proportional-integral-derivative based system in adolescents and adults with type 1 diabetes: individualizing settings for optimal performance.
- A Simplified Semi-quantitative Meal Bolus Strategy Combined with Single- and Dual-hormone Closed-loop Delivery in Patients with Type 1 Diabetes: A Pilot Study.
- Adjuvant Liraglutide and Insulin Versus Insulin Monotherapy in the Closed-Loop System in Type 1 Diabetes: A Randomized Open-Labeled Crossover Design Trial.
- Correlation Among Hypoglycemia, Glycemic Variability, and C-Peptide Preservation After Alefacept Therapy in Patients with Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus: Analysis of Data from the Immune Tolerance Network T1DAL Trial.
- Capillary blood islet autoantibody screening for identifying pre-type 1 diabetes in the general population: design and initial results of the Fr1da study. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Progress and challenges for treating Type 1 diabetes.
- Partners for life.
- Association Between HbA1c Variability and Risk of Microvascular Complications in Adolescents with Type 1 Diabetes.
- Influence of Age at Diagnosis and Time-Dependent Risk Factors on the Development of Diabetic Retinopathy in Patients with Type 1 Diabetes.
- Outpatient Care Preceding Hospitalization for Diabetic Ketoacidosis.
- Techniques for Exercise Preparation and Management in Adults with Type 1 Diabetes.
- Major adverse cardiovascular events with basal insulin peglispro versus comparator insulins in patients with type 1 or type 2 diabetes: a meta-analysis. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Internet-based incentives increase blood glucose testing with a non-adherent, diverse sample of teens with type 1 diabetes mellitus: a randomized controlled Trial.
- Continuous Glucose Monitoring: A Consensus Conference Of The American Association Of Clinical Endocrinologists And American College Of Endocrinology .
- Large-for-Gestational-Age Neonate Predicts a 2.5-Fold Increased Odds of Neonatal Hypoglycemia in Women with Type 1 Diabetes.
- Utilisation of emergency medical services for severe hypoglycaemia: An unrecognised health care burden.
- Age-Specific Trends From 2000–2011 in All-Cause and Cause-Specific Mortality in Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes: A Cohort Study of More Than One Million People.
- Gluten free diet and nutrient deficiencies: A review.
- Is compliance with gluten-free diet sufficient? Diet composition of celiac patients.
- Transition from childhood to adulthood in coeliac disease: the Prague consensus report. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Evanston filmmaker focuses on celiac disease in new documentary.
Legal and Legislative
- Philadelphia-area YMCA settles a discrimination case involving child with diabetes. See also Justice Department Reaches Agreement with Philadelphia-Area YMCA to Ensure Equal Opportunities for Children with Diabetes and Justice Department Reaches Agreement with a Texas YMCA to Ensure Equal Opportunities for Children with Diabetes.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- This Diabetes Activist Hacked Her Medical Device and Made an Artificial Pancreas.
- Tubeless insulin pump gives independence to active diabetics.
- Juvenile Diabetes Research: Playing sports with diabetes.
- Grand Forks student participates in groundbreaking 'T-rex' diabetes study.
- What Is It Like to Raise a Child with Type 1 Diabetes?
- Diabetes doesn’t slow down IndyCar racer Charlie Kimball.
- First results of the Fr1da study—36,000 children already tested for early type 1 diabetes.
- A Polish vaccine against diabetes.
- Senseonics receives CE Mark for implantable continuous glucose monitoring system.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail
Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Like Us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter
Your Generous Donation
Allows Us To Help Families
With Type 1 Diabetes
|Return to the Top of This Page|
Last Updated: Wednesday May 25, 2016 19:38:17
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.