Upcoming CWD Conferences
Friends for Life Orlando 2016
July 5-10, 2016
Orlando World Center Marriott
DSF Family and Individual Scholarships
Friends for Life Anaheim 2016
September 16-18, 2016, 2016
Of Continuing Interest
- We need your help to Suspend Medicare's Dangerous Competitive Bidding Program for Diabetes Testing Supplies. This is very important.
- Type 1 Diabetes Counselor/Assistant Needed For All Girls Camp in the Berkshires.
New This Week
- Join us for Fourth of July Fireworks at FFL Orlando 2016 on Monday, July 4th in Orlando, to benefit Children with Diabetes.
- Last week's poll asked our readers how they chose their primary blood glucose meter. This week's poll asks our readers about how often they or their child gets a retinal photograph.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Cheating Destiny by James S. Hirsch.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
My 5 year old (diabetic) daughter was mad at me the other day. She came walking into the kitchen with her backpack full with all her stuff. She really knows what buttons to push, telling me: "I'm running away, I'm taking a lot of candy, and I'm not taking any insulin!"
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when your child holds up a box in the grocery store and, when you ask "How much?", the nice bystander says "$2.99" and your child says, "15 carbs for one serving." See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
A year ago, my teen daughter's A1c was 9.6. She ran high, struggled to keep from gaining weight. Now, her A1c is 7.6 and she has lost 16 pounds. Why is it that she is able to lose weight so quickly now? Can consistent highs prevent weight loss even when on a low calorie/low carbohydrate diet?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Your Best Tslim Filling Tips
Quilt for Life
- The Quilt for Life now has 755 panels, each showing what living with type 1 diabetes means to one family. The next showing is at Friends for Life: Orlando 2016 in July. If you'd like to make a quilt and have it in the display, the quilt must be received by CWD before July 1, 2016.
- Camp Kudzu seeks adult male volunteers to serve as camp counselors from June 4-10 and June 11-17. Details can be found at www.campkudzu.org/volunteers/at-camp/. The online application is accessible at campkudzu.campmanagement.com/p/register_staff.php. Contact Ashley Conant, [email protected], for more information.
Studies, Focus Groups, and Surveys
- TrialReach offers a central source for searching for diabetes clinical trials in the United States.
- Teens with T1D: Considering the insulin pump or CGM? You're needed in a new study about shared decision making with your parents. Learn more at https://apps.nemoursresearch.org/redcap/surveys/?s=ALNAPAR7T7
- Parents of Adolescents with Type 1 Diabetes are invited to participate in a survey on teen risk behaviors being run by researchers at Boston Children's Hospital and Harvard University.
- PERL (Preventing Early Renal Loss in Diabetes) is a clinical trial for people with type 1 diabetes who have early signs of kidney problems. The goal is to test a new way to reduce loss of kidney function using a safe and inexpensive medicine. We are seeking adults (age 18 or older) with type 1 diabetes to participate in our study. Please sign up if you are eligible.
- Linguistic Validation Project: English Speakers with Juvenile Diabetes seeks five native speakers of Canadian English to help with a localization project.
Diabetes Care Products and Apps
- New Wellness Programs / Apps Take Aim at Diabetes.
Diabetes in Social Media
- On this day.
- Closing the Loop, One Bigfoot Step at a Time.
- The Dentist’s Shocking Reaction to Treating Nighttime Lows with Juice.
- Mom and Daughter Pair Harness Diabetes with Laughter and Grit.
- Snail Mail Club.
- Sharing something most intimate, my blood sugar.
- My Diabetes Burnout: I Just Want to Eat What I Want!
- Study Highlights Risk of DKA After Surgery.
- Roll with It: Sex and T1.
Diabetes Videos and Podcasts
- Transforming Stem Cells into Diabetes Beaters.
- The Robot Vacuum Ate My Pancreas.
- Diabetes Drug Prices Tripled in a Decade.
- Available September 2016: T1D College Graduate Wanted - Jackson, Wyoming
Our adventurous family is looking for a Type 1D to join our team for 9-12 months. Housing & utilities provided in exchange for about 15 hours of child care each week for a 7-year-old and 6-year-old, both with type 1 diabetes. You must be family oriented, an outstanding T1 role model and like the outdoor mountain town lifestyle. Tell us about yourself and we will send you a detailed job description. We can be reached via email at [email protected]
- Primary prevention of beta-cell autoimmunity and type 1 diabetes - The Global Platform for the Prevention of Autoimmune Diabetes (GPPAD) perspectives. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Invokana increases rates of ketone-related adverse events in type 1 diabetes.
- Victoza Study in T1D Yields Inconsistent Results.
- Effect of insulin analogues on frequency of non-severe hypoglycaemia in patients with type 1 diabetes prone to severe hypoglycaemia: The HypoAna trial.
- American Association Of Clinical Endocrinologists And American College Of Endocrinology Position Statement On The Association Of SGLT-2 Inhibitors And Diabetic Ketoacidosis.
- Sleep in Adolescents and Young Adults with Type 1 Diabetes: Associations with Diabetes Management and Glycemic Control. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Impact of Disease Duration on the Effects of Pramlintide in Type 1 Diabetes: A Post Hoc Analysis of Three Clinical Trials.
- Disclosure of Type 1 diabetes at work among Finnish workers. See also Work ability among Finnish workers with type 1 diabetes.
- Videoconferencing for Teens With Diabetes: Family Matters.
- HbA1c but not diabetes duration predicts increased arterial stiffness in adolescents with poorly controlled type 1 diabetes.
- Diagnosis of retinopathy in children younger than 12 years of age: implications for the diabetic eye screening guidelines in the UK.
- Review of cardiometabolic risk factors in a cohort of paediatric type 1 diabetes mellitus patients.
- Practical Classification Guidelines for Diabetes in patients treated with insulin: a cross-sectional study of the accuracy of diabetes diagnosis.
- Design and Methods of a Randomized Trial of Continuous Glucose Monitoring in Persons With Type 1 Diabetes With Impaired Glycemic Control Treated With Multiple Daily Insulin Injections (GOLD Study).
- The Feasibility of a Pilot Intervention for Parents of Young Children Newly Diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes.
- Celiac disease and school food service in Piedmont Region: Evaluation of gluten-free meal. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Serum Concentrations of Insulin, Ghrelin, Adiponectin, Leptin, Leptin Receptor and Lipocalin-2 in Children with Celiac Disease Who Do and Do Not Adhere to a Gluten-Free Diet. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Dani's Diary: The diagnosis that just changed my life.
- Celiac disease raises risk of pregnancy complications, but not infertility.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- Diabetes Patients 'Screaming' About Insulin Costs. (Free Medscape membership required.) See also Media Matters: Can Anything Be Done About High Insulin Prices?
- Type-1 diabetes 'prevention' trial starts in Scotland.
- Matt is back in the driving seat after diabetes ban blow.
- Huntsville-based GrifGrips develops technology to help people with Type 1 Diabetes.
- 'Women with diabulimia don't see 30', warns eating disorders expert.
- Anorexic Diabetics Treated 'Too Late'.
- Islet transplantation restores blood sugar awareness and control in type 1 diabetes.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
|Return to the Top of This Page|
Last Updated: Wednesday April 20, 2016 19:23:42
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.