Upcoming CWD Conferences
Friends for Life Falls Church 2016
April 8-10, 2016
Fairview Park Marriott
Falls Church, Virginia
Friends for Life Orlando 2016
July 5-10, 2016
Orlando World Center Marriott
DSF Family and Individual Scholarships
Friends for Life Anaheim 2016
September 16-18, 2016, 2016
Of Continuing Interest
- Applications for the 2016 Diabetes Scholars Foundation College Scholarships are now online.
- Type 1 Diabetes Counselor/Assistant Needed For All Girls Camp in the Berkshires.
New This Week
- Last week's poll asked our readers who use an insulin pump about the number of different basal rates in their main profile. This week's poll asks our readers about their insulin pump infusion sets.
- The Featured Book of the Week is My Life as a Pancreas: Reflections on Raising a Child with Diabetes by Priscilla Call Essert.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
My son recently was ill and had returned to school. His blood sugar went extremely low and the rescue had to be called. This obviously caused quite a commotion at the school. That evening a mother called to say that her daughter was worried about my son and had reported "Mom, his blood sugar was so low it was down to his belly button!"
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when you wake in the middle of the night unable to sleep, roll over and gaze at your hunky husband just as the inevitable thought crosses your mind--better go take a quick blood sugar check. See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
Diagnosed with type 1 in July, our teen daughter is experiencing recurring headaches. We moved recently and she changed schools, but we do not think she is that stressed. What are we missing?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Looking for suggestions on combatting morning high BGs
- We've updated our list of diabetes camps to help you find a summer camp near you.
Conferences and Events
- The Patient Voice 2016: Bridging the Diabetes Gaps will be held on Saturday, March 20th from 1:30 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. at 417 E. 61 Street & 1st Avenue in Manhattan.
- The Diabetes Research and Wellness Foundation is hosting a one-day educational event on Saturday, April 9, 2016, entitled Transplantation: An option to explore transplantation for people living with diabetes.
Studies, Focus Groups, and Surveys
- Parents of Adolescents with Type 1 Diabetes are invited to participate in a survey on teen risk behaviors being run by researchers at Boston Children's Hospital and Harvard University.
- PERL (Preventing Early Renal Loss in Diabetes) is a clinical trial for people with type 1 diabetes who have early signs of kidney problems. The goal is to test a new way to reduce loss of kidney function using a safe and inexpensive medicine. We are seeking adults (age 18 or older) with type 1 diabetes to participate in our study. Please sign up if you are eligible.
- Teens with T1D: Considering the insulin pump or CGM? You're needed in a new study. Learn more at https://apps.nemoursresearch.org/redcap/surveys/?s=ALNAPAR7T7
Diabetes in Social Media
- The Road to a Diabetes Cure: Encapsulation Research Update.
- The Great Divide.
- My Life as a T1 Mum.
- Early Formation of Serum Advanced Glycation End-Products in Children with Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus: Relationship with Glycemic Control.
- Estimated insulin sensitivity predicts incident micro- and macrovascular complications in adults with type 1 diabetes over 6 years: the coronary artery calcification in type 1 diabetes study.
- Early Corneal Cellular and Nerve Fiber Pathology in Young Patients With Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus Identified Using Corneal Confocal Microscopy. Free full text available in HTML and PDF via link on full text HTML page.
- Real-Time Model-Based Fault Detection of Continuous Glucose Sensor Measurements.
- Integrated sensor-augmented pump therapy systems [the MiniMed® Paradigm™ Veo system and the Vibe™ and G4® PLATINUM CGM (continuous glucose monitoring) system] for managing blood glucose levels in type 1 diabetes: a systematic review and economic evaluation. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Variability of Basal Rate Profiles in Insulin Pump Therapy and Association with Complications in Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus. Free full text available in HTML and PDF via link on full text HTML page.
- Evaluation of the Adherence to Continuous Glucose Monitoring in the Management of Type 1 Diabetes Patients on Sensor-Augmented Pump Therapy: The SENLOCOR Study.
- Insulin pump use compared with intravenous insulin during labour and delivery: the INSPIRED observational cohort study.
- Influence of initial insulin dosage on blood glucose dynamics of children and adolescents with newly diagnosed type 1 diabetes mellitus.
- Effect of Pramlintide on Postprandial Glucose Fluxes in Type 1 Diabetes.
- Relationship between social network, social support and health behaviour in people with type 1 and type 2 diabetes: cross-sectional studies. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Diabetes Attitudes, Wishes and Needs Second Study (DAWN2): Understanding Diabetes-Related Psychosocial Outcomes for Canadians with Diabetes.
- Age at Transition from Pediatric to Adult Care Has No Relationship with Mortality for Childhood-Onset Type 1 Diabetes in Japan: Diabetes Epidemiology Research International (DERI) Mortality Study. Free full text available in HTML and PDF via link on full text HTML page.
- No adverse effect of outdoor air pollution on HbA1c in children and young adults with type 1 diabetes.
- Identification of a serum transglutaminase threshold value for the noninvasive diagnosis of symptomatic adult celiac disease patients: a retrospective study.
Legal and Legislative
- Reegan's Rule celebrated.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- The Rising Cost of Insulin.
- Mum of three diabetic children calls for better understanding of the disease.
- Sacred Heart's Brown didn't let diabetes derail career.
- 8-year-old teaches Taft principal, recently diagnosed with diabetes.
- How My Diabetes Got Me Hooked on Aviation.
- While his parents slept, this 7-year-old boy's life was saved by Jedi, his diabetes-sniffing dog. See also Meet Jedi, the Dog That Watches Over Type-1 Diabetic Child Every Night While His Family Sleeps.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
|Return to the Top of This Page|
Last Updated: Wednesday March 09, 2016 19:00:03
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.