Of Continuing Interest
- Make plans to attend CWD's Friends for Life Orlando 2014, to be held at the Marriott World Center Resort in Orlando, Florida, from July 1-6, 2014.
- The Diabetes Scholars Foundation is once again offering scholarships to CWD's Friends for Life Orlando 2014
- Coming to Friends for Life Orlando 2014? Please join your friends at the Diabetes Scholars Foundation's Party Polynesian Style Fundraiser.
Other Stories of Continuing Interest
- Applications for College Scholarships from the Diabetes Scholars Foundation are now being accepted and must be received by April 15, 2014.
New This Week
- Serving as Inspiration After a Life of Good Management, Good Fortune.
- We've updated our chat system to use a new, modern technology. The chat rooms are visible throughout all pages of the main CWD web site as well as the forums.
- The Faces of Diabetes is a project by Edward Fieder, who has type 1 diabetes, "... to document, photograph and feature diabetics going about their daily lives."
- Last week's poll asked our readers who use an insulin pump about the number of basal rates in their main profile. This week's poll asks our readers which infusion set they use most often.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Type 1 Diabetes in Children, Adolescents and Young Adults by Ragnar Hanas, M.D.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
One evening, after dinner, our daughter who has diabetes asked me to get her some Hershey's Kisses to eat. I grabbed the bag as her siblings also asked for some. I gave two to her sister, then I gave my daughter two. She said, "Please give me another one; I bolused for three." Her non-diabetic sister quickly chimed it, "Well, I bolused for five."
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when your 3-year-old son with diabetes asks every person who drinks juice, "Are you low?" See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
My son was spilling ketones with an elevated blood sugar last night so we gave him water and extra insulin. Overnight he was low. Ketones returned this morning. Was this just due to dehydration? At what point do I call the doctor? I'm confused by the off and on ketones.
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
So, the whole "Saline start" thing...
- We've updated our list of diabetes camps to help you find a camp near you.
Support and Advocacy
- COMMENT to FDA / two minutes helps shape diabetes testing.
Studies and Surveys
- Share your experiences with continuous glucose sensing and help CWD.
- PediaConnect, an early stage company with headquarters in Silicon Valley, is running an online survey for parents of kids with type 1 diabetes.
- A clinical study for a new needle-free glucagon for treatment of severe hypoglycemia in children is being conducted at several centers in the US. If you are interested in learning more about this study, please visit clinicaltrials.gov.
- The TrialNet Pathway to Prevention Study offers screening at no charge to relatives of people with type 1 diabetes. The screening can identify risk for type 1 diabetes years before symptoms appear. Those at increased risk may be able to join research studies testing ways to prevent the disease. Others can continue to be monitored for the earliest signs of type 1 diabetes, which can prevent serious symptoms. To find a TrialNet location, request a test kit, or learn more, visit DiabetesTrialNet.org.
Diabetes Blogs and Social Media
- UNFAVORABLE. (This has to change.)
- Fighting for Better Test Strips.
- Type 1 Diabetes Finally Explained.
- Diabetes Complications Are Complicated.
- Sweet red blood.
- Eleven-Year-Old CEO Catches Eye of OmniPod Makers.
- A Cautionary Tale on Seeking Charitable Donations.
- Talking about diabetes.
Products, Services and Books
- Genteel is a completely new lancing device that offers "no more pain."
- Timesulin: Crowdfunding = Freedom of Patient Choice. See also Timesulin's Indiegogo fundraising page.
- The Smart Insulin Pen: Pendiq.
- Compromised gut microbiota networks in children with anti-islet cell autoimmunity.
- The human GLP-1 analogs liraglutide and semaglutide: Absence of histopathological effects on the pancreas in nonhuman primates.
- GAD Autoantibody Affinity in Adult Patients With Latent Autoimmune Diabetes, the Study Participants of a GAD65 Vaccination Trial.
- Subclinical Vascular Endothelial Dysfunctions and Myocardial Changes With Type 1 Diabetes Mellitus in Children and Adolescents.
- Genome-wide association study of urinary albumin excretion rate in patients with type 1 diabetes.
- Adaptive calibration algorithm for plasma glucose estimation in continuous glucose monitoring.
- Fear of hypoglycemia in women and men with type 1 diabetes.
- New Study Reveals Psychological Impact of Diabetes Extends beyond Patients to Family Members.
- Developmental Processes Associated With Longitudinal Declines in Parental Responsibility and Adherence to Type 1 Diabetes Management Across Adolescence.
- Utility of the waist-to-height ratio, waist circumference and body mass index in the screening of metabolic syndrome in adult patients with type 1 diabetes mellitus. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Glucagon-Like Peptide 1 Attenuates the Acceleration of Gastric Emptying Induced by Hypoglycemia in Healthy Subjects.
- National Estimates of Insulin-Related Hypoglycemia and Errors Leading to Emergency Department Visits and Hospitalizations. See also ER visits for low blood sugar common among insulin users.
- Barriers impeding serologic screening for celiac disease in clinically high-prevalence populations. Free full text available in PDF format.
- Prevalence of thyroid autoimmunity in children with celiac disease compared to healthy 12-year olds. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Why Doesn’t the Military Accept Those With Celiac Disease?
- What I want you to know about Celiac Disease: Adrienne’s Story.
- UW increases gluten-free food availability.
- Gluten-free students struggle for options.
Legal and Legislative
- Diabetic banned from pub for injecting insulin in public view. See also Diabetic claims discrimination over pub injection incident.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- A Half Century with T1: Four Profiles in Courage.
- Type 1 diabetes on rise in Phila.'s youngest.
- Arlington girl, 11, fighting diabetes and misconceptions of disease.
- The View Of Digital Health From An 'Engaged Patient'.
- Niskayuna man recognized for living 75 years with diabetes.
- Riding with diabetes doesn’t slow Oregon cyclist Michael Shelver.
- 85 years of service: Commitment to cause keeps Cosmos coming back.
- Boy diagnosed with diabetes inspires Kenilworth mum to run her first first half marathon.
- Sold-out gala raises $4.9 million for juvenile diabetes research.
- Managing type 1 diabetes and life as a magic circle partner.
- McKesson’s Build a Buddy Program Helps Kids With Diabetes Feel Less Alone.
- Diabetic man survives 18 days in outback by eating flies.
- L.I. Hospital: Reused Insulin Pen Part May Mean Hepatitis, HIV Risk For Patients.
- More than Half of People with Type 1 Diabetes Expect a Cure in the Next Decade.
- Biodel Announces Commercial Manufacturing Agreement With Emergent BioSolutions for Glucagon Rescue Product.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
|Return to the Top of This Page|
Last Updated: Thursday January 22, 2015 14:27:50
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.