Of Continuing Interest
- CWD's Friends for Life: Orlando 2010 International Conference, to be held at the Orlando World Center Marriott in Orlando, Florida from June 29 – July 4, 2010, begins in three weeks.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Friends for Life Canada: Vancouver 2010 conference, to be held at the Renaissance Vancouver Hotel Harbourside in Vancouver, BC, Canada from August 27-29, 2010. The Diabetes Scholars Foundation is offering family scholarships for CWD's Friends for Life Canada: Vancouver 2010 conference.
- Make plans to attend CWD's Focus on Technology: Charlotte 2010, to be held at the Renaissance Charlotte Suites Hotel in Charlotte, North Carolina, from September 3-5, 2010. The Diabetes Scholars Foundation is offering family scholarships for CWD's Focus on Technology: Charlotte 2010 conference.
- CWD's Friends for Life: UK 2010 Conference, to be held at the Beaumont House Hotel and Conference Venue in Old Windsor, Berkshire, England from October 29-31, 2010, is sold out. If you would like to be on the waiting list in case space becomes available, please contact Laura Billetdeaux at .
- Make plans to attend CWD's Family Support Weekend, to be held at the Marriott Marco Island Resort in Marco Island, Florida from December 30, 2010 - January 1, 2011.
New This Week
- Last week's poll asked readers if they have been tested for celiac. This week's poll asks readers if they have a diabetes emergency kit prepared.
- The Featured Book of the Week is Taking Control of Your Diabetes, Second Edition by Steven V. Edelman, MD.
- Continuous Sensors are Worth a Look.
- This week's Humorous Tidbit is:
Our 9 year old son has had type 1 since he was three and has just started playing hockey. The team is having hockey photos taken next week. The required form asks "What is your favorite pro team?" Because I didn't know, I asked Jonathan what his favorite pro team was. He thought for a while and then answered "Fried Chicken." I looked at him funny and said "Fried Chicken is your favorite professional hockey team?" He laughed and said, "Oh, I thought you asked me what my favorite protein was!"
- You know you're the parent of a child with diabetes when everyone in the family says they are "low" instead of hungry! See more parent humor.
Featured Diabetes Team Question of the Week
- The Featured Ask the Diabetes Team Question of the Week is:
Since his mom is not rotating injection sites, my nephew has scar tissue at the often used sites. Is this common? How many sites should they be using?
See the answer.
From the CWD Forums
- From the CWD Forums:
Quantity limits on Diabetic Supplies
- Animas Corporation is sponsoring the 2010 Online Pump Triathlon Relay.
- Diabetes: Chronic Epidemic is an in-depth discussion of diabetes, presented by Massachusetts Medical Society, the Massachusetts Department of Public Health, and Hopkinton Community Television.
- Parent to Parent: PEP Squad.
Studies and Surveys
- Adults with type 1 diabetes between the ages of 18 and 35 are invited to participate in an online survey about self-management behaviors.
- Families in the Cincinnati area are need for a new study on Type 1 Diabetes and Depression: A Study for Teens and Their Families.
- Please add yourself to the T1D Exchange, a new not for profit project that we hope will become the largest type 1 diabetes study ever. Parents should answer the survey questions for their child.
- Researchers at the Medical University of South Carolina are looking for teenage drivers with type 1 diabetes between the ages of 16-19 and their parents to participate in an online study about how diabetes affects driving in teens. The survey is anonymous, which means that no one will know your answers but YOU. For more information and to complete the survey, please choose the appropriate survey:
- Survey for teens
- Survey for parents
- Lindsey's Guide to Surviving College with the Big D.
- Abandoned for Now, Not Forgotten.
- Small But Mighty: Healthy Dinner Ideas, from an Expert 'MealMommy'.
Products and Books
- TuAnalyze enables members to track, share and compare their hemoglobin A1c data.
- Real-Time Hypoglycemia Prediction Suite Using Continuous Glucose Monitoring - A safety net for the artificial pancreas.
- Prediction of Type 1 Diabetes in the General Population.
- Patient and Parent Views on a Web 2.0 Diabetes Portal-the Management Tool, the Generator, and the Gatekeeper: Qualitative Study.
- Maternal and neonatal risk factors for childhood type 1 diabetes: a matched case-control study. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Enhanced Algorithm for glucose estimation using the Continuous Glucose Monitoring System.
- Relationship hypertension-microalbuminuria in type 1 diabetes.
- Comparison of pharmacodynamic intrasubject variability of insulin lispro protamine suspension and insulin glargine in subjects with type 1 diabetes.
- Long-term mortality and retinopathy in type 1 diabetes.
- A multi-disciplinary education process related to the discharging of children from hospital when the child has been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes - a qualitative study. Free full text available in HTML and PDF formats.
- Screening-detected and symptomatic untreated celiac children show similar gut microflora-associated characteristics.
Diabetes in the Popular Press
- These athletes refuse to let diabetes stop them.
- Diabetic shock.
- Ironman Jay.
- Graham Thompson's push to help other diabetics.
- Province facing diabetes crisis, report suggests.
- New technology for diabetes patients includes an accompnying video.
- Children show the way in overcoming fear of diabetes.
- Kids with diabetes can get Nintendo points for testing blood sugar.
- Youngster leads the way with new diabetes treatment.
- Women Inspiring Life With Diabetes: An Interview With Mari Ruddy.
- 9-year-old: 'I love McDonald's Mondays'.
- Coast to Coast Walk for Diabetes UK.
- Andromeda Biotech Initiates DIA-AID 2, a Confirmatory Phase 3 Study using DiaPep277®, for the Treatment of Type 1 Diabetes.
Watch for the indicator throughout the web site. You'll know you found something that's new to these pages. You can also click on it to return to this page.
Receive the What's New page via E-mail Receive an e-mail copy of the What's New page each Wednesday evening by visiting the What's New Subscription Page and filling out the registration form. You can also unsubscribe there. It's that easy to stay informed about what's new at the web site and in diabetes.
Previous Week's What's New Lists.
|Return to the Top of This Page|
Last Updated: Thursday January 22, 2015 14:27:38
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.