Back to Parents' Voices Tina Williams
I will never forget the first 2 months of 1998. I wasn't sure that I was going to make it. In January my husband crashed his brand new motorcross motorcycle. The dreaded call came on January 24th. I was told to meet him at the hospital they won't give me any details only that they thought that he had 2 broken legs. I raced to the hospital. The nurse came out to tell me that my husband was being prep for surgery. He had 2 broken legs, a broken pelvic bone, a broken left hip, his right arm was broken in 4 places, and the radial nerve in the right arm was damaged. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. They put 12 pounds of titanium in him and he is home and learning how to walk again.

It looked like things were getting better. Then I noticed that our daughter Ally was using the restroom alot and drinking more than usual. Being a diabetic myself a red flag went up. I will never forget that night when the doctor came in to give me the news. It was February 14th. After dinner we were watching tv and Ally our 3 year old daughter got up about every 30 minutes to go to the restroom and she was asking for water to drink which is very unusual because she drinks white grape juice. Bed time came and I put her to bed and went in to take a bath. I decided to keep track of how many times she went to the bathroom in 1 hour. On the 5th time I pulled my blood machine out and tested her blood. All it said was HI. I just sat there and stared at the machine I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I picked the phone up and called her doctor. She told me that she would meet me at the emergency room. I got dressed got her dressed and jumped in the car and raced once again to the hospital. They pulled blood and we waited. They didn't even have to tell me I knew by the look on their face her blood sugar was 680 she was a diabetic. I just sat and cried. My worst nightmare had come true. My baby was going to have to take shots everyday for the rest of her live was all I could think. By the time they got her admitted and moved to her own room it was 3:00 a.m. We were both wiped out. I still had to call my husband and tell him the bad news. I remember dialing the numbers it took me forever. When he answered the phone all I could do was cry.

Well it was been 10 days and I never thought I would say this but things are actually good. Ally is handling the shots great. The finger sticks are still a problem but I have been doing them for 18 years and I still don't like them. I stick her finger first and then I let her stick my finger. She ask to give me my shot but I'm not quite ready to let a 3 year old give me a shot. I still have my crying spells when she looks at me and says, "Mom, I'm just a little girl and I shouldn't have to get so many shots." Today her 12 year old brother let her test his blood and as I sat and watched them I realized how truly lucky I am that diabetes was all she had. At least we can control it and she will have a semi normal life. Things are still crazy but the motorcycle has been sold and we are all thankful that we still have each other to lean on.

Tina receives e-mail at

Original posting: 14 Mar 98

  Back to Parents' Voices Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: Wednesday March 16, 2005 16:45:04
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.