Diabetes News in the Popular Press from 2011
28 December 2011
- Riding a War Horse to fame.
- Living with Diabetes in the US Military.
- New device detects diabetes at 'light' speed.
21 December 2011
- Parents get insulin-pump tattoos to support diabetic son.
- Sprinter with diabetes chosen to be Olympic torchbearer.
- Diabetes Technology Regulates Blood Sugar Levels; Local Family Hopes FDA Approves Artificial Pancreas.
- Spartans senior battles busy life, diabetes.
- Family survives quite the Christmas adventure.
- Helping a Son Cope With Diabetes, While Juggling Her Own Challenges.
- High-Tech Pump Helps Three Type 1s Swim the English Channel.
- Standing Up For Sugar, the Hypoglycemia Alert Dog.
- Driving Isn't An Issue for Most People With Diabetes.
- Driving licence form revamp for people with diabetes.
- Suspended sentence for triple-fatality driver; Diabetic shock cited as likely cause of collisions that killed 3.
- Ultradian Diagnostics Partners With UAlbany NanoCollege to Ramp Up Research and Pilot Prototyping. See also Making good ideas better.
- 24,000 diabetes deaths a year 'could be avoided' in UK.
14 December 2011
- Aspiring Young Actress Works To Spread Diabetes Awareness.
- Knights dunk diabetes.
- Teen leads active life despite diabetes.
- Berkshire father and son share medical alert dog.
- Defective gene could help treat diabetes patients. See GATA6 haploinsufficiency causes pancreatic agenesis in humans.
7 December 2011
- Dog Sense.
- Diabetes alert dog safeguards 5-year-old.
- Team Type 1 gets early start on 2012.
- Matthew Calderon, Fort Lee basketball lover, dies at age 16.
30 November 2011
- Former Miss America Nicole Johnson and a Type 1 diabetic, finds healthy relationships help us; she's part of Bringing Science Home at USF.
- Brandy Barnes' Community Of Women With Diabetes.
- Diabetes doesn't stop this six year old.
- Living with diabetes; Marc Quinn, Type 1 Diabetes.
- Artificial pancreas could be 'holy grail' for Type 1 diabetics.
23 November 2011
- Super Bowl champ Tom Crabtree helps tackle diabetes - deliciously.
- For first time at USF, student wins prestigious Marshall Scholarship.
- Team Type 1 at the Tour of Rwanda for charity and victory.
- Managing your child's diabetes: Resources & studies.
- DR. PONDER: Theories abound on causes of 'bed death'.
16 November 2011
- Girl diagnoses self with diabetes.
- Who's a good Dog? Ruby the Diabetic Sensing Dog.
- Balancing Act - Managing kids' Type 1 diabetes — shots, sugars — while they are in school can be a struggle, especially with fewer nurses.
- Researchers look at strategies to combat growing diabetes problem.
- Our daughter got diabetes at one.
- A diagnosis of Type 1 diabetes pushes Dan Hayward to ride for a cure.
- Trials hold hope for insulin transplants.
- Barbara Davis Center researcher reveals treatment for type 1 diabetes preventing the disease in mice.
9 November 2011
- Coaches help keep diabetics off sidelines.
- Type 1 diabetes checks are crucial for students, school staff.
- Blood Sugar Extremes Can Affect Young Brains.
- Type 1: El Paso patients, families join diabetes lobbying effort.
2 November 2011
- Headliner: Helping companies and patients.
- La Jolla High School senior on track to raise thousands for type 1 diabetes research.
- Snowboarding iron man won't be stopped by diabetes.
19 October 2011
- Albany's Delaney overcomes odds with just one hand.
- Business partner: The Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation and Ford of Britain.
- Family removes boy from IDEA over response to health needs.
- Plymouth North teams combine to 'Stick it to Diabetes.'
12 October 2011
- IndyCar driver doesn't let diabetes keep him out of race.
- Life's sweet despite tough road for diabetes.
- E.B. dentist to use Halloween candy to benefit soldiers, fight diabetes.
5 October 2011
- Diabetics call the four-legged alarm system a godsend.
- Diabetes alert dog banned from class.
- Fabio Calabria riding for a cause.
- My Greatest Diabetes Fear.
- DR. PONDER: Exercise self-care with alcohol as a diabetic.
- NIDDK Offers $15M for Type 1 Diabetes Genes Studies.
28 September 2011
- Do What You Love, and It Will Never Be Work: An Interview With Indy Race Car Driver Charlie Kimball.
- A diabetic's desperation led to creation of new medical emergency kits.
- Do You Have a Diabetes Sick Day Plan?
- Friends meet over insulin pump.
- Diabetic, 5, manages her disease.
- Diabetes Service Dogs Save Lives.
- Phil Southerland, former professional cyclist and CEO of Team Type 1, raising diabetes awareness.
- World Health Organization appoints Phil Southerland.
21 September 2011
- Miss America 1999 gives tips on living well with illness.
- Swimmers with Diabetes Cross English Channel.
- My Guardian Angel Against Low Blood Sugar.
- Birth and Beyond - More Than Just a Number: Early Pregnancy With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Parents call for better policies to protect diabetic students at school.
- VUCast: Future Diabetes Vaccine?
- North Vancouver family finds new 'normal'.
- L-P goalie Galetti playing sports despite diabetes.
- Your Health: Lubbock girl uses diabetes to teach and inspire.
- Can baby teeth provide a future cure?
15 September 2011
- Comments to-There Will Be a Diabetes Cure.
- No link between vitamin D and child type I diabetes.
- J'lem researchers: Juvenile diabetes cure is closer.
- Diabetes Drugs: Type 2 Agents Effective for Type 1.
- Savouring their sweet victory over diabetes.
7 September 2011
- Diabetes Tech Helps Race Car Driver Stay On Course; Charlie Kimball Races Grand Prix With Diabetes.
- Diabetes 'blessing in disguise' for pair of Knights.
- Taylor relieved to receive his big league call.
- Wyandotte Girl Fights Diabetes One Step at a Time.
- Close call for misdiagnosed child.
31 August 2011
- There Will Be a Diabetes Cure.
- Has Science Discovered Way To Halt Diabetes?
- Danbury family meets diabetic cycling team, promotes diabetes awareness.
24 August 2011
- Great News for People With Type 1 Diabetes.
- Trial of xenotransplantation treatment for diabetes kicks off in Argentina.
- St. Charles family learns to cope with boy's diabetes.
- Cycling's Team Type 1 inspires diabetics.
- The Chicago Bears' Jay Cutler Raises Money for Youth Diabetes Awareness.
17 August 2011
- 'It's Not Rocket Science': LAUSD Eyes Volunteers, Not Nurses For Insulin Shots.
- How to handle every parent's nightmare.
- Program helps diabetic kids transition to insulin pumps.
- Parenting Style Impacts Control of Type 1 Diabetes in Children and Adolescents.
- Rays' Sam Fuld back at Fenway, where legend began.
- A headliner again at 47, Verplank in hunt at PGA.
- Diabetic marathoner pumped about running again.
- Ticats' Denson doesn’t let a little diabetes hold him back.
- Diamyd Shifts Away from Diabetes To Cut Costs.
10 August 2011
- TSA Apologizes For Confiscating Pregnant Woman's Insulin, Ice Packs.
- With diabetes, Rays outfielder San Fuld faces tough opponent. See also Tampa Bay Rays' Sam Fuld cheers patients at USF diabetes center.
- Pro Snowboarder Sean Busby: Showing Kids That Anything Is Possible.
- Diabetes no act for 'Nurse Jackie' star.
- Shock turns into cheer after fight.
- Helmsley Trust Funds New Boston-Based Website for Diabetes Patients.
- Dating a Man with Diabetes: An Editorial.
3 August 2011
- Three-year-old saves mum from diabetic coma.
- Fort Polk's little hero saves mom's life.
- Team Type 1 changes its name and colors at the Tour of Denmark.
27 July 2011
- Lives wasted as FDA stalls on diabetes care.
- DR. PONDER: Diabetes care includes emergency preparation.
- "Iron Andy" inspires kids with diabetes.
- Camp gives children tips to manage diabetes.
- Amalia takes her case to Holyrood.
20 July 2011
- Mum aims to raise awareness of juvenile diabetes.
- San Jose Junior Sharks hockey player doesn't let diabetes stop her.
- DR. PONDER: Principles matter in diabetes self-care as in faith.
- 'I survived the hospital poisoner': Diabetic actor, 23, says he was given deadly saline.
- Chertsey woman banned from driving due to diabetes.
- Once a Spokesperson for Juvenile Diabetes, Erin Now Suffers From Diabulimia.
13 July 2011
- Type 2 Drug Victoza Helps Type 1s, Too.
- Bay Area diabetes camps canceled, hundreds of kids out of luck.
- Day camp for diabetics makes debut in Morris.
- Chicago-area children with diabetes join worldwide congress.
- Granville siblings represent Ohio at Children's Congress 2011.
- Coping with diabetes big learning curve for family.
29 June 2011
- Life expectancy improves for type 1 diabetics.
- Is BCG a cure for diabetes? The long road to acceptance.
- Research shows promise in reversing Type 1 diabetes.
- Justice Sonia Sotomayor speaks about struggles with Type 1 diabetes; others can relate.
- Actor Kevin Kline advocates for diabetes research.
- Indy racer won't let diabetes keep him off the track.
- Climber now turns to Ironman competition.
- Graduate balances academics, standout swimming and diabetes.
- Camp puts focus on living with diabetes.
- Dog Smells Danger for Diabetics.
- Is Big Pharma Really Trying to Cure Diabetes? We're Seeking Profits and Debunking Myths.
21 June 2011
- Father's Day Reflections.
- New app for teens with Type 1 diabetes.
- Coping with Type 1 diabetes has become routine for Galesburg 6-year-old.
- 'I never thought ill son had diabetes.'
- Jury: Redwood City officer used excessive force.
- American Idol Finalist Crystal Bowersox Joins JDRF's Children's Congress for Diabetes Research.
- Draft guidance on early form of artificial pancreas for diabetes management.
- Donor islet cells cure diabetes after transplant.
- Diabetic pets can still live a dog's life.
15 June 2011
- A Graduation That May Carry Unnecessary Risk explores the importance of planning the transition from pediatric to adult care.
- Why You Need to Watch Your Medicine.
- Hawaii's youngest diabetes advocate heads to Congress.
- Specialized Diabetes Camps.
- Balancing Diabetes and Celiac Disease.
Rubens Bertogliati: "That's the hardest climb in Switzerland."
- Diabetic Pro Snowboarder descends remote Iceland Mountains.
- Nasal vaccine could prevent diabetes.
8 June 2011
- 5PM INTERVIEW: Juvenile Diabetes Congress.
- Diabetes Won't Sideline Ryan Reed.
- Zoe McBride, 18, fights diabetes with fitness.
1 June 2011
- Man celebrates 85 years of living with diabetes.
- Living with diabetes.
- Type 1 personalities - Joslin's study of 50-year diabetes patients indicates what has made them survive, thrive.
- Ainsley Jordan faces lifelong battle with Type 1 diabetes.
- Liberty High senior Reed keeping his life on track.
- Teenager scoops Mr Wales title.
- Pet Talk: Dogs are trained to identify when a diabetic boy is having issues with his blood sugar.
- Type 1 Diabetes Scouts Have Fun.
- Walkerton teen wins award for managing diabetes.
- San Diego company studies stem cell implant as a Type 1 diabetes treatment.
25 May 2011
- Team Type 1 takes on diabetes awareness.
- Two Fremont boys deal with everyday life and Type 1 diabetes.
- Diabetic recognised.
- Aid snatched from Parkdale child ambassador.
18 May 2011
- Nat Strand's Amazing Race.
- Phil Southerland was told he’d die. He didn’t listen. He kept charging.
- Dr. Ponder: What's behind 'diabetic coma'?
- Charlie Kimball makes history at Indianapolis Motor Speedway. See also Rookie Charlie Kimball appreciates 1st day at IMS.
- Profiles in Type 1: Dr. Jonathan Beach.
- The Signs of Diabulimia.
11 May 2011
- World-class athlete Chris Southwell explores his boundaries.
- UCI clarifies No Needle Policy for diabetics.
4 May 2011
- Team Type 1's Efimkin wins the Tour of Turkey.
- Chase Pelletier, Competitive Kart Racer.
- Dr. Ponder: Diabetics don't have to be perfect.
- As Doggie Diabetes Soars, Human Treatment May Help.
- A wedding without diabetes worries.
- HS Lacrosse Notebook: Type 1 Diabetes doesn't slow down Lower Dauphin's Addie Answine.
- Camps Help Kids Look Forward.
- Diabetes in Kids Comes With Hefty Price Tag.
27 April 2011
- 3rd grader expelled for wielding diabetes tester.
- Parents have positive effect on diabetes treatment in teens.
- How diabetic teens and kids can learn from one another.
- Teddy bear challenges diabetes.
- In short time, Fuld a legend.
- Treatment options vastly improved for Type 1 patients.
- Diabetes sufferers lobbying Government.
20 April 2011
- Quebec to cover cost of insulin pumps for Type 1 diabetes.
- Phil Southerland's Not Dead Yet: Memoir of a Bike Racer With Diabetes.
- Meet the City worker who breaks aviation world records in his spare time.
- A Miracle Technology for Type 1s: Can It Be Saved?
- IndyCar driver Charlie Kimball keeping pace with diabetes. See also At 230 mph, Indy driver monitors glucose and A Sweet Ride for a Determined Diabetic.
- Diabetes events support Camp Kandu, alert dogs.
- Camp has educational fun for diabetic youths.
- Thirteen-year-old organizes paintball benefit in Alton.
- Halozyme's Ultrafast Insulin Generates Faster-In And Faster-Out Profile For Type 1 Diabetes Patients Using Insulin Pumps.
13 April 2011
- Hackensack hospital to pioneer new diabetes treatment.
- Technology fights eye disease.
- Swim for Diabetes raises over $200,000.
- Sky's the limit for Newton born Sky News anchor Stephen Dixon.
- Poker run personal for parents of boy with type 1 diabetes.
- Study aims to find cause of type 1 diabetes.
- Schools in UAE urged not to shun diabetics.
- Diabetic girl dies at boarding school.
- Doctor cleared of misconduct following death of Widnes patient Sarah Jane McNicholas.
6 April 2011
- Diabetic pilot plans record-breaking North Pole flight. See also Diabetes Polar Flight.
- Big boost for Team Type 1 with Tour de Suisse invite.
- Nuggets' Forbes "blessed" to get NBA shot.
- Each One of Us Inspires the Other.
- Vitamin D Issues in Type 1 Diabetes.
- Type-1 diabetes should be considered in older people.
30 March 2011
- Famous faces of diabetes.
- Diabetic to lose her pump and sleep.
- Big-hearted bikers who've saved Caoimhe from 1,722 jabs a year.
- Banding together against Type 1 diabetes.
- Some Type 1 Diabetics Seem Shielded Against Complications.
23 March 2011
- Experimental "Body Reboot" Drug Begins Trial As Preemptive Preventer Of Diabetes.
- Wonderkids campaign: Why are more of our children getting type 1 diabetes?
- The smart diabetic lives the longest.
- Canyon still hopes to fly into Kamloops.
- Diabetic girl, 10, petitions government over treatment.
- Expert: Children with diabetes face trouble.
- Coffing riding her Big Break success into the 2011 season.
- Weston Abusamra Helps Diabetes Research.
- Life-changing diabetes aid target of cuts.
- It's appropriate to cry over new glucose monitor.
- Pontiac 3rd-grader suspended for pricking classmates with blood-sugar testing device.
16 March 2011
- Ponder: A child diabetes diagnosis involves counseling.
- Rebekah wants to tell you a story.
- Circle of Life receives $25,000 grant.
- Diabetic alert dogs have nose for danger.
- How a Pocono 7-year-old endures diabetes.
- Diabetes can't keep Shafer off the lanes.
- Woman puts diabetes to the test in Costa Rica; A local Type 1 diabetic is 'tackling a volcano' on May 7 to raise funds and awareness for the disease.
- Increased Insulin May Be Needed Over 5,000 Meters.
- Madison woman celebrates 50 years with type 1 diabetes.
- Q&A: UCSF's Jeff Bluestone on the Tricky Balancing Act Between Academia and Industry.
9 March 2011
- Fleeting Moments of Clarity: The Great Lancing Debate.
- Local Teen Gives Hope to Chronically Ill Children.
- Local Child With Diabetes Awarded Dream Trip.
- Team Type 1 impresses at Montepaschi Strade Bianche.
- Cases of type 1 diabetes in youth on the rise.
2 March 2011
- Learning to survive, and thrive: Six-year-old with Type 1 diabetes forced to grow up quickly in order to deal with daily responsibility of living with lifelong disease.
- Local Teen's Dog Is a Life Saver.
- Eau Claire woman adapts to life as a Type 1 diabetic.
- Diabetes management app on smartphones helps teens manage blood sugar and insulin levels.
23 February 2011
- 'Cowardly theft' almost killed her.
- Girl, 7, turns fear into fashion with used syringes.
- Local Student Manages Type 1 Diabetes.
- Q&A with Gus Ellis; Stanford volleyballer talks shop.
- Poulsbo woman an inspiration to others living with diabetes.
- Type 1 diabetes diagnosis for children often missed.
16 February 2011
- Students with diabetes adjust to college life.
- Team Type 1 continues Giro and WorldTour push.
- Diabetes boom sparks Roche expansion.
9 February 2011
- Researchers May Have Found A Potential Cure For Type 1 Diabetes.
- 2nd annual 'Jessepalooza' announced.
- Ponder: Good doctors address needs and numbers.
- Mother Grateful To Emergency Workers: Police brave blizzard to get insulin to girl.
- AHN's Brewer always game for activity.
- Summer camp helps kids adjust to diagnosis.
- Teens start handmade jewelry business to benefit diabetes causes.
- Giving diabetic athletes a shot in the arm.
- Local women helping out on diabetes research.
- Global Health Watch: Artificial pancreas has potential for pregnant women with Type 1 diabetes.
- CJB student builds unique project inspired by her diabetes.
- After Overdose, Auburndale Facility Barred From Accepting More Diabetics.
2 February 2011
- Student's show about living with diabetes inspires WCU interdisciplinary learning initiative.
- Audio of John Madden's comments about Jay Cutler.
- "Artificial pancreas" shows promise in pregnancy.
- The Quest for a Painless Way to Check Blood Sugar.
- Saskatchewan residents living with Type 1 diabetes come together at winter camp.
- Girl with diabetes helps other kids in the hospital by donating toys.
26 January 2011
- Interview With Nick Jonas, a Pop Star With a Conscience.
- Fight of a lifetime: Bruck hasn't let diabetes stop her.
- A mother's love brings a neighborhood to action.
- Justice Department defends banning CIDA aid worker; Diabetic barred from Afghanistan service.
- Vaccine For Diabetes.
19 January 2011
- Diabetes Super Conference aimed at all with disease.
- Jay Cutler, No Matter His Performance, Is Still an Inspiration.
- Funding gaps leave many schools lacking nurses.
- B.C. NDP leadership candidate Adrian Dix says Type 1 diabetes doesn't slow him down.
- Pro bowler offers encouragement to fellow diabetics.
12 January 2011
- Jan. 11, 1922: Insulin Makes a Nice Shot.
- From a Diabetes Diagnosis to an Award-Winning Business.
- Local teen is a role model for people with juvenile diabetes.
5 January 2011
- Kitty, 13: I'm sick of people thinking my diabetes is due to an unhealthy lifestyle.
- Wanted: A new name for Type 1 diabetes.
- Callison: 'Living her dream' with aid of a patch.
- HealthFirst: Type 1 diabetes vaccine.
- Faith-based healing reviewed; The death of a boy whose mother failed to seek medical care puts focus on her church and others.
Current Diabetes News in the Popular Press |
Last Updated: Thursday January 01, 2015 15:29:00
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.