Back to Kid' Voices Kaitlyn

Hi!! My name is Kaitlyn and I am 13 years old. I have lived in West Virginia since I was 5.

I was diagnosed with Juvenile Diabetes on May 18, 2005. At first I had no clue it was diabetes, I thought I may have had the flu or something. One day during school I was using the bathroom and using the bathroom a lot. When I went home I was getting sick from drinking a whole thing of grape juice from how thirsty I was. At the time we was in the process of moving so we had to stay in a hotel until our other house was ready. I went to school the next day and I was purple all over. I was wearing 2 jackets outside when it was 80 degrees. Everything just got worse and I stayed home from school about 3 days. I couldn't eat. Everything I did eat I puked up later. Every time I drank something I would just have to go to the bathroom. I slept all the time, when my mom needed to pick up something from JC Penny's I literally was passed out sleeping on the floor. I had no life in me basically.

My mom worked at a hospital. Finally she and my sister took me into the ER. The put me into a room and took blood. I was passed out there for about 3 hours until they told my mom I had diabetes and that my blood sugar was 989! I weighed in about 112 pounds when I was 5'3! The ambulance drove me to Washington DC's Children's Hospital and I was admitted there for 4 or 5 days as I was in ketoacidosis. I stayed in the PICU for 2 days until I was well enough to be moved out. After another 3 days in the hospital I went home. Still very skinny but my blood sugar under control.

I didn't mind the needles or the pricking my self. I got that part pretty easy. For about 4 months my blood sugars were great! The only thing I did have a problem with was going low. I thought this was easy having diabetes, my blood sugars were fine, my A1C was 6, I was so happy, until they told me I was in my honeymoon and it wouldn't last for ever. Sooner or later my blood sugars started getting high. Till the point they was 546! I went back to the emergency room but I wasn't admitted. I should have been since they told me I could leave when it was still 399.

Today it's still high. My doctors are trying to fix everything and make me better. I get sick and my A1C went up to 10! I haven't changed my diet, still eat right, and everything. I even went into my old cheer teas to help and it does. They even switched my insulin from R to Novolog.

It can get hard but don't stop trying. Don't give in. Eat Right and exercise and take the right insulin and they can fix it. Just try to understand diabetes can't run your life like it almost did mine!

LilBuggaBoo12 AT

Published August 27, 2006

  Back to Kid' Voices Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: Sunday August 27, 2006 14:02:04
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.