Back to Kids' Voices Sarah

Hiya! My name is Sarah and I'm 15 and live in England. I enjoy sports a lot, especially running -- which is when I found out something wasn't right. I had diabetes. Diagnosed: 02/11/98.

I compete in a lot of cross country and 800m races in my town and region. I had travelled down to Wales (near me) and was competing in the regional cross country 2.5 mile race. I was nervous but I knew I could do it as I was fast and confident. I began the race and got off to a good start going through fields and down roads. I could feel my legs aching and going like jelly as I was running the race. I was sweating more and felt faint. I thought this was due to tiredness; nothing else. But I kept on running as I had a lot of people waiting at the finish line for me. I suddenly realised a lot of girls were passing by and I was dropping back to the end. I was very upset as I hard worked hard for this race and had thought I'd failed. I managed to make it to the end, where my mum told me I looked tired and dehydrated. My mum and dad took me home straight away as I was very weak.

My parents secretly knew something was wrong as I was drinking pints of water when I come home. I was straight off to bed and constantly going the toilet. My mum had woken me up for some tea (as this had all happened before 6pm) she decided she was going to give me my dinner then take me down to the doctor, just to be on the safe side. I had to do a urine sample and wait for the results. As soon as I had the results I was told to quickly go home and get some stuff packed and go straight to the hospital as I had diabetes. I was shocked, scared and frightened (and my mum was too, but she was strong and there for me). Before I knew what was going on I was in the hospital bed with a drip and some other wire in my arm. They explained fully to my mum what was going on, then came round and brought me diagrams and videos to explain more. I drifted off to sleep but unfortunately was woken up every hour to check how my blood was doing. I was 24-31 mmol (432-558 mg/dl) whilst I was in hospital, which is scary now.

It was a frightening experience as I was terrified of needles and injections before, but like everyone else it was something that had to be done.

When I got home after three days in hospital I wondered for days, even weeks, why it was me who had diabetes. I was a daughter to my mum and dad of 4 and why did it have to be me? Why did I have to put a needle inside me three times a day? Why couldn't I eat chocolate, cakes, milkshakes?

It took me a few weeks to come round and lots of talks and chatting to my mum that I realised that you can't decide what happens to you in life. You just get on with things the best you can and lead a happy life. And that you can have chocolate and sweets, just not as often as you would like.

I am controlled and get on with diabetes (except for the occasional midnight feast with my mates or sisters) and I am very grateful that I am still alive and healthy :)

If anyone wants a friend to talk to about diabetes or anything else, then just email me on sarah_babe9 [at] and I will reply to all your emails.


Published January 20, 2002

  Back to Kids' Voices Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: Sunday December 05, 2004 11:16:48
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.