Back to Kids' Voices Kevin

Hi, my name is Kevin and I just turned two years old.

Last year, just a week before my first birthday, my parents rushed me to the emergency room. I was lifeless and having problems breathing. I did not even have the energy to cry. I could only look at my mom and dad with very sad eyes.

At the emergency room they ran a lot of tests. At first they were thinking I had a seizure or an accident, but then the blood sugar number came back from the lab. It was over 800. Immediately they added an insulin drip to my IV bag. Eventually I stabilized enough to be transported to Fairfax Hospital Emergency room via ambulance. I spent 2 nights in the PICU unit and another 2 nights in the Pediatric Ward. After a whirlwind weekend of training my parents were finally ready to take me home.

It has now been a year since diagnosis. Although it did not seem possible at first, time moves on and you incorporate diabetes management into you daily life.

Today I love playing with my older sister, Delana and racing around. I get 2 to 3 shots and at least 4 glucose readings a day.

My parents would love to hear from other family's dealing with diabetes especially in the Northern Virginia area. The email address is


Published July 22, 2001

  Back to Kids' Voices Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: Sunday December 05, 2004 11:16:44
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.