Back to Kids' Voices Brooke

Hello, My name is Brooke. I am 15 years old and have had Diabetes for almost six months. I was diagnosed on January 22, 2001. My story is really sort of different.

My doctors have actually been testing me for Diabetes since I was about nine years old. I have showed symptoms of Diabetes such as constant thirst and using the bathroom a lot. For as long as I can remember they have been checking my urine for anything that is not regular. It always showed up that I have had blood and protein in my urine. In October 2000 I went to the doctor because I had a flu bug that would just not go away. That was the one time they didn't check my urine or blood. I had showed even more symptoms then. For example I had lost almost 15 pounds, and my doctor had asked about that. I had just said that I was trying to loose that, which I was.

Around Christmas is when I really started to get sick. The day after Christmas I went to the doctor to get my third dose of the Hepatitis B shot. They didn't notice anything then either. About a month later I went back to the doctor because I was very very tired. All I wanted to do was eat, drink, and sleep. I had missed 2 days of school the week before I was diagnosed and when I went back on that Friday I felt so awful. I wanted to throw-up and felt sick to my stomach. The next Monday I didn't want to go to school. My mom said I had to go to school or I could stay home but I had to go to the doctor. I chose to stay home that day. By the time the doctor could get me in my mom had to go to work so my dad had to come home early to take me to the doctor. My mom's work doesn't let them take off. My dad took me to the doctor and the doctor said that it might be Diabetes and that I did have a high amount of keytones in my urine. She said I had to go to the hospital and she would call Phoenix Children's Hospital so they would know I was coming. At that time of the year, Phoenix Children's is pretty full and they had to wait for another child to check out.

They said it was going to take about an hour so they sent me home. Six hours later they called and said a bed was ready. When we got there I weight only 98 pounds. I had lost 43 pounds. They were going to put me beside another diabetic girl but it turns out because my PH balance was so low I had to spend the night in ICU. The next night they moved me back to the regular floor and for the next three days I learned as much as I could abut how to take care and treat my Diabetes. Over the past six months I have learned a lot about Diabetes. My mom's mother had it and according to my mom it has changed a lot about how they take care of diabetes. This summer I am going to diabetic camp and hope to meet some diabetic kids and become good friends with them.

I love doing things any one else my ages likes. I like to play tennis, soccer, and I love to swim. If any of you want to be e-mail pals or have any questions, I would really love to hear from you! My e-mail is

Published June 10, 2001

  Back to Kids' Voices Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: Sunday December 05, 2004 11:16:44
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.