Back to Kids' Voices Chelsea


My name is Chelsea. I was diagnosed about 3 weeks ago. I thought it was the end of the world. Well, I am here to tell you my experiences about this disease and what I think about it. Here it goes.

Ok, It all started about 4 weeks before I was diagnosed. I was sleeping ALL the time and I was drinking constantly. I had dry mouth REALLY bad and I could do nothing to get rid of it all. So, one day I told my mom I couldn't go to school. I was too weak and couldn't get out of bed. And if I tried I just fell over. Of course like any mom she thought I was doing this to get out of school. We got into a huge fight of course and that lead to not talking for a couple days. So I was on my own. Then we eventually started talking and she let me stay home from school for a week! That helped me a lot. But, I still was feeling really bad. And the symptoms were getting worse.

Then after that week I went back on the next Monday and refused to go the rest of the week. Somehow, she thought this was all depression. I think she thought that because a couple days before this I got into a fight with my father and he and I weren't talking. (He lives in Dertoit.) So, she set up an appointment for the depression. They put me on this medicine called Zoloft. I was on that for a while, The symptoms were still there and I still wouldn't go to school so she called the police officer and told him all about it and he was going to come and get me the next day because she gave me one more day.

"Alright," she said. "We are going to get your blood tested so that you can see there is nothing physically wrong with you." I said alright and we went to the lab at 4 o'clock that afternoon. They took some blood and said they would call in the next couple of days. Then the call came at 1:30 that night. We were up anyways because we had rented movies and got pizza. He called, my mom picked it up said hello of course and the doctor said my blood sugar was 1280! Can you believe that?! Normal blood sugar is anywhere from 80 to about 150. So I was really high. And about half hour before that I went to bed. Of course my older brother Brad over heard that conversation and came running downstairs, where my room is, and woke me up and said, "CHELSEA! Wake up, you have something wrong with you!"

Of course I ignored him and was totally oblivious to anything since the only thing I was concerned with was sleeping. So I said "whatever" and went back to bed. Then he left and my mom came down and said, "Chelsea we need to go to the hospital for a little while, come on let's go -- we need to leave right now!" I fell asleep in my clothes because I didn't have the strength to put jammies on. So, I went there in my clothes and had nothing else with me. She woke my stepdad and we left right then.

We got to the hospital and right away I was in the emergency room. They hooked me up to 2 IVs and took alot of blood. After about 4 hours there, they escorted us to our nice little room in the children's ward. Right away I crawled into bed and fell asleep. My mom stayed up all night right next to me and reassuring me I was going to be okay and she is right there if I needed anything. It hurt a lot to see her this way, crying and feeling sad. I felt that it was my fault and felt so bad, not only for having this disease but for making her feel that I was hurting.

Well, I was there from Friday night until Sunday night. It doesn't seem like too long but it was to me! And I was so happy to be out. I had a lot of visitors come and see me. That helped me think positively and get through a lot of it.

Well, that was my story, now about me. I am in the 8th grade. I love it. I came to this school last year. I moved from a little village to this good sized city. I like it. I live with my mom and a step-dad. I love my parents but we have gone through a lot together in the past 3 weeks. I also think a bigger and stronger bond has formed from all of this.

Well I hope my experience will help you in some way. Even to see someone else who has this disease. I know it helped me to see other people who have it. If you need someone to talk to and I love meeting new people and I have so much more to tell you. E-mail me or IM me if you're online sometime. My e-mail is and my IM name is Bzbabe75. THANKS! I would love to hear from you.

Published November 26, 2000

  Back to Kids' Voices Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: Sunday December 05, 2004 11:16:36
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.