Back to Kids' Voices Keira

Keira was 13 months old when she was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. Her father and I knew she had not been feeling well and showed signs of an ear infection. I had taken her to the doctor on a Monday, and confirmed that she did have an ear infection and a sever diaper rash, which turned out to be a yeast infection. The bad thing was, that my husband and I were leaving on Thursday of that week for the state track meet, since he is the high school track coach and had boys competing. Since we felt that the Grandmothers could handle the ear infection we left her and her older brother at home. We called and checked in couple of times each day to see how they were all doing. We could tell that she was not getting any better. We came home on Sunday, and my bouncing baby could barely hold her head up and look at us. She was having a very difficult time breathing. The respiratory virus, RSV, had been diagnosed in one of the children from her daycare so I thought it might be that. We went straight to the local hospital. They too thought that it might be a respiratory virus but sent us by ambulance to the Meek Children's Hospital in Abilene, Texas. There the doctors and staff were ready and waiting for us.

They ran a blood test as soon as we got there and asked many questions. I stated to the doctor that I did not bring her a diaper or a cup, and that she had been so thirsty over the last couple of weeks. The doctor immediately asked how her diapers had been. I explained that I could not keep dry ones on her and thus the diaper rash. Keira's blood sugar was in the 600s. I don't really know exactly because it did not mean anything to me at the time that they told us. Her level of ketoacidosis was so sever at that time that she was beginning to loose consciousness. They immediately stared Insulin. By the next evening they had moved us from ICU into a room where we spent the next 5 days learning more and more about the disease.

Keira weighed 21 pounds on that Monday when we took her in for the ear infection and on Sunday when they weighed her in ICU she weighed 16. It is the worst feeling a parent can have to see your baby there in an ICU bed with tubes and wires stuck all over its starving little body.

We know that miracles do happen, we saw one. This past year Keira was part of the Children's Miracle Network as one the Miracle Children for Meek Children's Hospital.

The pictures are of Keira the night that we came out of ICU, and her today, as a healthy child that loves life, and thinks nothing about having her finger stuck 4 sometimes 5 and 6 times a day and 2 shots everyday. She plays hard and enjoys everything around her.

Mom of Keira

Published August 4, 2000

Keira in the ICU

Keira at the pool today

  Back to Kids' Voices Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: Sunday December 05, 2004 11:16:32
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.