Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team

From Carlisle, Pennsylvania, USA:

My 15-year-old daughter was just diagnosed with androgen excess syndrome. She has had type 1 diabetes for six years. Are they related? What kinds of testing should she have?

We have only ever used our pediatricians and local diabetic educator. Is it time for an endocrinologist?


If your daughter were also obese, then there could be some interrelationship. Otherwise, these are just two separate diagnoses. Most of us who are pediatric diabetologists believe that optimal diabetes care requires working with a team of pediatric diabetes experts, but whether or not you agree would depend upon your own philosophy, A1c results, education provided, assistance by nurse educators and dietitians, availability of regularly scheduled eye checks, kidney, lipid, thyroid and celiac screening, etc.


Original posting 18 May 2009
Posted to Other Illnesses


  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: Tuesday April 06, 2010 15:10:18
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.