Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team

From St. Louis, Missouri, USA:

I just recently moved and then, shortly after, lost my insurance. I have been trying to cut down on my expenses by using Wal-Mart's Novolin insulin. This has been causing my blood sugars to be pretty unpredictable since I'm used to using Humalog. My prescription for insulin ran out and I really don't have the money to see an endocrinologist out of pocket. Are there any ways that you know of that I can obtain a prescription without having to pay full price for an appointment with an endocrinologist? Then, I will be able to take of cheaper prices from mail order pharmacies.


State law in Missouri, and many other states, allows for the old human Regular insulin to be purchased without a prescription. However, the short-acting insulin analogs like lispro insulin (trade name Humalog) require a prescription for distribution. But, an endocrinologist is not required to prescribe lispro insulin. This can be prescribed by any physician. I would recommend that you find a physician somewhere who can follow you. Generally, they will be able to write the appropriate prescription for you.


Original posting 14 Mar 2009
Posted to Insulin Analogs and Insurance/Costs


  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: Tuesday April 06, 2010 15:10:18
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.