Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team

From Duluth, Georgia, USA:

I plan to travel to La Ceiba, Honduras this summer for two months and will be taking, if it is safe, my six year old daughter with me. She was just diagnosed with type 1 on February 20, 2006. What is the best resource to find a pediatric endocrinologist there, in your opinion? What is your opinion on international travel with a child with type 1?


When traveling internationally, it is very important to have adequate supplies for double the time you will be gone, in case you cannot get what you need locally. For any emergencies, go to the medical school Emergency Room. In many parts of the world, there may not be a trained pediatric endocrinologist, so you may have to deal with an adult diabetes specialist or general pediatrician. You can always phone contact the U.S. Embassy and also your own regular diabetes team, even if away from the U.S.


[Editor's comment: In addition to hand carrying all medical supplies, make sure you take emergency food and a valid prescription for all the medical items you are taking. BH]

Original posting 9 May 2006
Posted to Traveling


  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: Tuesday April 06, 2010 15:10:08
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.