Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team

From Florida, USA:

How can I control my blood sugar? What kind of food can I eat? I count carbs. Can you find some one to talk to me about what I can eat? I am a 11 year old boy who has type 1 diabetes and was diagnosed in August 2001 and cannot control my blood sugar and I need help.


Good for you for wanting to take control of your diabetes. Your questions are really important ones. And they are ones that cannot simply be answered completely on the Internet.

I cannot tell from what you wrote but I think this is what you need.

  1. You have had diabetes now for two years. Hopefully you are followed by a physician's office that specializes in caring for children with diabetes! This is usually a pediatric endocrinologist. In your state, there are pediatric endocrinologists in Tallahassee, Pensacola, Jacksonville, Miami, Orlando, Tampa, St. Petersburg and other cities. Some of these doctors travel to smaller cities for out-reach clinics.

    Please ask your parent or caregiver and regular doctor to call one of these centers and find out how and when you all can be seen. It's best to be seen as a family. These offices will often have specialized diabetes nurses, and diabetes nutrition specialists to help you make good food choices, and adjust your insulin doses, and tell you new techniques, and provide smaller blood glucose sample machines, and many other up-to-date considerations.

  2. If you are already followed by a diabetes specialist, they should be able to address your questions. Never be hesitant to ASK!

  3. Sometimes young people are followed by diabetes specialists that mainly take care of adults. That may be fine. But you are only 11. The pediatric diabetes office may be better set up to address the questions of someone who is approaching those middle-school years!


Original posting 2 Dec 2003
Posted to Daily Care


  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: Tuesday April 06, 2010 15:09:52
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.