Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team

I am a 22 year old woman. I was diagnosed with diabetes about nine months ago and treated with glyburide [a pill for Type 2 diabetes], but my levels appear to be increasing again. I have never been told if I have type 1 or type 2 diabetes, and the speculation is that I am in the beginning stages of type 1 diabetes. Where should I go from here in terms of treatments, etc.?


If you have type 1 diabetes, the correct treatment is insulin. You need firm direction from your physician regarding what type of diabetes you have. If your physician does not know, they need to perform the appropriate tests. If they don't know what the appropriate tests are, you might want to consider a physician who can help you with this. Type 1 diabetes results from the destruction of the insulin-producing cells in the pancreas. If present, this needs to be treated with a therapy that replaces insulin.


Original posting 17 May 2002
Posted to Diagnosis and Symptoms and Daily Care


  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: Tuesday April 06, 2010 15:09:34
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.