Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team

From Roeland Park, Kansas, USA:

I am 21 years old, I have had diabetes for five years, and about six months ago, I had a severe accident which the doctors believe was due to hypoglycemia, but when the paramedics tested my blood sugar, it was 92 mg/dl [5.1 mmol/L]. I do not remember the accident, but I due recall taking glucose tablets as soon as I got into my car that day.

The State of Kansas revoked my driving privileges. How do they determine being "episode free" for a certain period of time is safe for me? By this I mean, they told me I had to be episode free for six months, I tried to tell them that I could be episode free for so long and then have a problem. Blood glucose varies due to many things in your life. I told them that I would check my sugar every time before I drive and that would be the safest guarantee for me. They told me that that is a promise and not proof.

I am so frustrated because not being able to drive has caused me problems getting to college and work. I can't get any real answers from the state about this. Is there a set amount of time that I have to be episode free, and what exactly is an episode? The definition they gave me was unconsciousness or having seizure-like activity. I haven't had that since my accident but yet they are still denying everything my doctor has written and his approval for me to drive.


I'm sorry you had the accident. However, the state of Kansas is acting in a manner similar to other states. The usual time to symptom-free is six months. This means that you should not experience another low blood sugar reaction requiring the help of another person during that time interval. The state is trying to exercise a safety precaution which seems reasonable.

As a physician who sees many people with diabetes, I have been asked to sign such documents in the past. I would suggest you evaluate your status with your physician. This usually means a comprehensive look at your diabetes care regimen. It means frequent monitoring to prevent lows. It means checking your blood sugar before you drive in the future. You need to address this aggressively.


Additional comments from Dr. David Schwartz:

You need the assistance of an attorney with expertise in the vehicle and traffic code licensed to the practice of law in Kansas who can advise you of your rights and responsibilities under the law.


[Editor's comment: I would also contact your local American Diabetes Association affiliate for help. SS]

Original posting 30 Oct 2001
Posted to Other Social Issues and Hypoglycemia


  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: Tuesday April 06, 2010 15:09:26
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.