Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team

From Tel Aviv, Israel:

I am 45 years old, was diagnosed with diabetes about before three years ago when I had ketones, and I take insulin. My recent lab tests are a GAD antibody level of 83%, negative islet cell antibodies, and a C-peptide of 1.95. Do I have type 1 or type 2 diabetes? Can the doctor change the treatment by giving me Glucophage or other medicine?


My interpretation of the GAD antibody is that it is elevated, and your C-peptide level is not absolutely low. However, individuals with Late-onset Autoimmune Diabetes of Adulthood (LADA) do not have to have absolutely low C-peptide levels. The history is that they fall fairly rapidly over time, however. It you have autoimmune diabetes, placing you on Glucophage [metformin] will not necessarily help you. I would suggest you continue to follow closely with your physician.


Original posting 10 Oct 2001
Posted to Diagnosis and Symptoms


  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: Tuesday April 06, 2010 15:09:26
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.