Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team

From Anderson, South Carolina, USA:

It is hard to belive that a parent would not provide the necessary attention that is required by a child with diabetes, but we all realize that some children are neglected, regardless of their medical demands. I have read quite a bit of information regarding the school's responsibilities for meeting the needs of students with diabetes, but I have been unable to find specific information on what the parents' responsibilities are with relation to a child's care at the school. For example, are the parents required, by law, to provide the school with juice or candy to treat low blood sugars? What can a school nurse or administrator do if they suspect a child is not receiving adequate care, as evidenced by consistently high or low blood sugars? What are the parents' legal responsibilities in caring for a child with diabetes? This information would be helpful for school personnel who might be advocating better parental involvement.


See Information for Parents and Guardians.

I don't think there are specific legal responsibilities for parents of a child with diabetes other than the general child protection laws. If school personnel suspect inadequate care then they do one (or more) of several things:

  1. Document (in writing) why it is believed the child is not getting adequate care. This might include blood glucose records, reports of hypoglycemic events, failure to provide supplies, etc.
  2. Make certain that you have addressed your concerns (in detail) with the child's parents and retain documentation of your meeting, phone call, etc. with them.
  3. Allow the parents to respond to your concerns either in writing or at a meeting during which minutes are kept with a copy going to the parents.
  4. Permit sufficient time for parents to rectify your concerns.
  5. If you have a signed release to interact with the child's diabetes team, express your concerns in writing to them.
  6. If you suspect severe neglect and have appropriate documentation, contact your child protection agency to conduct an investigation.


Original posting 9 Oct 2001
Posted to School and Daycare


  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: Tuesday April 06, 2010 15:09:26
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.