Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team

From Karachi, Pakistan:

My six year old cousin was just diagnosed with MODY. Can he be managed by oral drugs? If yes, which ones can be used?


I am assuming that your son's doctor is using the term MODY (Maturity Onset Diabetes in the Young) in its broadest sense of non-insulin dependent diabetes mellitus (NIDDM) in children. This involves a number of different types of diabetes including a very small number with a specific inherited inborn error metabolism of which the most common is deficiency of the enzyme hexokinase. As you might imagine, these require very special laboratory facilities to diagnose, but nowadays, the term MODY tends to be used exclusively for this subgroup.

At this time, probably the most common form of NIDDM in a six year old living in Pakistan would be type 2 diabetes, which is a form of insulin resistance most commonly seen in middle aged adults. Its incidence has however been increasing rather dramatically in the younger age groups all over the world. It seems to be linked to lack of physical exercise and to obesity from a high calorie, high fat diet. There is often a family history of type 2 diabetes.

The initial treatment here in the USA is with exercise and diet. The latter needs to applied with care in a growing child. If it is possible, I would hope that you might get help with this from a paediatric dietitian. If hypoglycemic drugs are needed the one most commonly used is Glucophage [metformin], and, in the unlikely event that another is needed for good control, the choice would be a sulfonylurea. A very few centers are using the new "glitazone" (thiazolidinedione) drugs like pioglitazone, but not as a first choice.

Finally, you might have this child's parents ask the doctor about getting a GAD test done because a scattering of these cases are in fact an autoimmune variant, and therefore more likely to need insulin in the future.


Original posting 5 Dec 2000
Posted to Diagnosis and Symptoms and Medications: Pills for Diabetes


  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: Tuesday April 06, 2010 15:09:16
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.