Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team

From California, USA:

My son was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes several weeks ago. He turned 7 two weeks later. We have a wonderful pediatrician but he has perhaps only 2 other children in his medical group, not his patients, with diabetes. Would my son "be better off" with a pediatric endocrinologist?


My feeling is that children and their families do best when they have the resources of a team of specialists, including a pediatric endocrinologist, pediatric nurse and dietitian who specialize in the care of children with diabetes, and hopefully the team also includes a counselor. I would not wait until the blood sugars become a problem (i.e., after the honeymoon period), but instead develop a diabetes care routine that is going to work long-term. I sometimes meet families for the first time when their pediatrician needs help -- after the child's own insulin production has decreased.

There are some pediatricians who have extensive experience in diabetes care, and work with community diabetes educators to complete the team. A clinician needs a large group of patients to understand and support you through the "art" of diabetes care.


Original posting 8 Dec 1999
Posted to Daily Care


  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: Tuesday April 06, 2010 15:09:06
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.