Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team

From Tallahassee, Florida, USA:

How do doctors tell if someone has actual diabetes as opposed to transient hyperglycemia? What tests are performed? How routine is antibody testing?


It can sometimes be difficult to differentiate between transient rises in glucose and true diabetes, as in children especially there may be a slight rise in blood glucose with stress (illness, infection, etc.). The most sensitive way of telling is probably by performing a glucose tolerance test, which gives a clue as to whether there is a lack of insulin. The glycosylated haemoglobin will also tell if the raised glucose is short or long-term.

Regarding testing for antibodies, we do not tend to check antibodies routinely in the UK as they do not add to the care of a person with diabetes. They are checked in research when you wish to look at risk of developing diabetes.


Original posting 7 Aug 1999
Posted to Diagnosis and Symptoms


  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: Tuesday April 06, 2010 15:09:06
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.