Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team

From Texas, USA:

I have a six year old son that the doctors think he has diabetes. They told me to go and see a endocrinologist but right now since I have no insurance or Medicaid, I am not able to go. I would like to know what the sugar level readings are supposed to be. I have bought a monitor but I am not sure exactly how to know when it is too high or too low.


I would not rely on a meter if you have not been properly trained in its use. You should tell your doctor about your financial problems. If the doctor thinks your child has diabetes, it is his/her responsibility to make sure your child is evaluated immediately. Your doctor should call a pediatric endocrinologist and discuss your child's case and how to best handle the situation. If your child has symptoms of excess urination and thirst and your doctor can't get you an appointment right away with an endocrinologist, go to the nearest emergency room. They can't refuse to see your child and evaluate him. If he is nauseous or vomiting, it is already an emergency.


Original posting 25 Jan 1999
Posted to Diagnosis and Symptoms and Social Issues: Insurance/Costs


  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: Tuesday April 06, 2010 15:09:02
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.