From Rochester, Minnesota, USA:
How can I find out how many children with diabetes live in a particular area (i.e., city, county, state, etc.)?
There are several US government sources for statistics on IDDM. Unfortunately IDDM is not a reportable disease in the US and so the numbers are only estimations. Countries like Finland, Sweden and the UK have complete surveillance and can provide exact numbers.
There are approximately 123,000 kids with IDDM in the US. The state of Hawaii and Allegheny County, Pennsylvania have surveillance projects for IDDM.
Sources for IDDM statistics in the US:
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, NIH publication Diabetes in America No.85-1468 III, 1-8 and No.85-1468 V, 1-12.
- National Center for Health Statistics, "Current Estimates from the National Health Interview Survey", Vital Health Statistics
- Heathy People 2000
- The American Diabetes Association
- National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases of the National Institutes of Health (NIDDK) Home Page
- National Diabetes Information Clearinghouse, 1 Information Way, Bethesda, MD 20892-3560
- The National Diabetes Data Group component of NIDDK
- Division of Diabetes Translation, National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
This should be a good start to find the information you need.
Original posting 29 Aug 1998
Posted to Research: Other
|Return to the Top of This Page|
Last Updated: Tuesday April 06, 2010 15:09:00
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.