Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team

From Helena, Montana, USA:

I am 45 years old. I have Type 1 diabetes. I developed diabetes with my pregnancy 18 years ago. I currently take 22 units of NPH in the A.M. and 18 units of NPH in the P.M. I am a teacher, and my schedule begins at 7 A.M. and ends around 9 P.M. I experience severe reactions while sleeping, I am unable to wake up and my husband spends hours giving me juice, etc. to bring me around. I also have intermittent reactions at school. My blood sugars vary greatly (from 12 to 400) it doesn't seem to matter what I eat or how much physical activity I have. I find it difficult to sleep when I am alone for fear of these reactions. I no longer seem to have the "warning signals" of an oncoming reaction. The local medical community passes this off by telling me that, "You're diabetic." I would like to see a specialist, but I need to know who you recommend and who is nearest to Helena.


First of all, your diabetes program needs revamping to match your lifestyle! Two shots of NPH are not in any way an appropriate program for someone with your schedule. Once you find a sympathetic physician, and get onto a more flexible program (probably either a basal-bolus program or an insulin pump), you'll do better and feel better. You'll also have other issues to address, such as hypoglycemic unawareness.

It's unfortunate that you have run into the attitude that "blames the victim." Whoever you've spoken to previously either (a) hasn't heard what you just told us or (b) needs to learn about diabetes before attempting to advise his/her patients, or (c) needs an attitude adjustment. See Finding a New Diabetes Doctor for some hints that should help you find a nearby specialist.


Original posting 15 Aug 1998
Posted to Daily Care


  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: Tuesday April 06, 2010 15:08:58
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.