Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team

From Illinois, USA:

I am a 20 year old male who has had Type 1 diabetes for about 10 years. I try to control my blood sugar but it usually runs an average of 200mg/dl. I also am slightly underweight. I have an internal medicine doctor who I see for the diabetes. However, is there anything I can do to get a specialist and/or a team of diabetic specialists, not only to help with my sugar level but also to help me gain weight?


Yes. If your blood sugars are averaging 200, I'd agree it's time for an evaluation of why, and what might be changed to get your diabetes under better control!

Ask your present physician for a consultation to see a endocrinologist. If he/she's uncomfortable with the idea of obtaining a consultation, the doctor should explain why. You always have the right to get a "second opinion." In some cases, you'd have to pay for the specialist's advice out of your own pocket, so be sure to check with your insurance company about their guidelines for paying for specialty care!

Be sure that your present physician forwards your records to your new specialist, so that the new doctor doesn't feel any need to repeat any testing that you might have had done recently.


Original posting 27 Jul 1998
Posted to Daily Care


  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: Tuesday April 06, 2010 15:08:58
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.