Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team

From America On-Line:

I am looking for daycare for my newly diagnosed 18 month old son. I am having great trouble finding any places that will accept him. The one place I found (and which has no openings for 6 months) says I must get an outside person to come in to do the blood sugar checks. Please let me know what the legality of this is and where appropriate daycare may be found.


I would gather as much information as you can, and gently let the day care know that your child has the right to appropriate diabetes care at a day care center. Also talk to your child's diabetes care team, as they likely have experience in your area with day care centers.

There is a recent legal precedent for pursuing diabetes care in the day care setting: (Stuthard v. KinderCare, Inc.). You can also contact the American Diabetes Association or Juvenile Diabetes Foundation for more advice and assistance.

Hopefully, when you correct the lack of knowledge, the center will be interested in arranging for your son's care.


Original posting 25 May 1998
Posted to Social Issues: School and Daycare


  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: Tuesday April 06, 2010 15:08:58
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.