Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team

From New Jersey, USA:

I have two daughters, ages 20 and 21, diagnosed with Type 1 three weeks ago. One has health care insurance; one doesn't. Our family doctor wants them to see endocrinologist. He started them on shots this week, once a day.

How important is seeing endocrinologist? Can our family doctor handle problems that come up? Or is she looking for other problems? The 21 year-old has what appear to be cysts on her chest and throat. Could this be from diabetes?


Your daughters deserve the specialist care that an endocrinologist/diabetologist can give them. They need to learn a lot about diabetes if they are to manage it well and family doctors will not have the necessary skills nor the time (for the most part) to teach them.

If by cysts, you mean pus-filled spots, then they are associated with badly controlled diabetes. Sugar is a favourite food of the bugs that make pus so skin infection is more common in uncontrolled diabetes.


Original posting 12 May 1998
Posted to Diagnosis and Symptoms and Daily Care


  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: Tuesday April 06, 2010 15:08:58
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.