Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team

From Des Plaines, Illinois, USA:

I know a lady who is 35 who might have diabetes, but will not go to a doctor. She has complained of weakness, consumes too much sugar; she thinks she might have diabetes. What do you think?


There are several lists of the symptoms of diabetes; your friend's situation might possibly fit with diabetes.

If she is worried about the possibility of having diabetes, she might be willing to have a blood sugar test done before seeing a physician. All that's needed to confirm the diagnosis is elevated levels of blood sugar; this test could be obtained at any doctor's office lab, or any hospital lab. Her physician or perhaps another health professional such as a Public Health Nurse or a hospital Diabetes Nurse Educator can arrange to order the test. There also are public screenings for diabetes: call your local office of the American Diabetes Association to find out more.

Based on the blood sugar level, she can find out if she does have diabetes (if the sugar level is high on several tests) or if it's less likely (if it's normal; but a normal value should be repeated several times to completely exclude the possibility of diabetes).


Original posting 14 Apr 1998
Posted to Diagnosis and Symptoms


  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: Tuesday April 06, 2010 15:08:58
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.