Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Ask the Diabetes Team

From Maine, USA:

I have an adult friend - mid 30's - who just told me she was told by a doctor she had a blood glucose reading of 350 or so and was at "high risk" for developing diabetes. My son (7) has Type 1 so I know that 350 is very high - and I was tempted to tell her to get an appointment with an endocrinologist ASAP. Her doctor doesn't seem to be treating this aggressively - no medication and just put her on a diet. I am worried about this approach because of the side effects of diabetes and knowing that Type 2's often go years without treatment.

Should I get involved and suggest that she see a diabetes specialist - or should I sit back and assume her Primary Care physician knows what is going on? Any advice would be appreciated!


I'd suspect there's been an error somewhere:

  1. Was her sugar really 350? If so, she's got diabetes for sure.
  2. Was her sugar really 350, her doc really concerned, and she's minimizing the diabetes for some reason? If so, she's in major denial.
  3. Was her doc really implying to minimize it? if so, she's got the wrong doc.


Original posting 22 Jan 97


  Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Return to the Top of This Page

Last Updated: Tuesday April 06, 2010 15:08:52
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.

This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Legal Notice, and Privacy Policy.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.