My daughter is 17 years old and has had diabetes for 7 years. We are in the process of applying to colleges. We would like to know if there is a listing of colleges that supply some form of medical suppport or emotional suppport for the college kids on that campus. We are interested in the east coast area. We know many of the cancer groups and organizations that offer scholarships to kids entering college, are there any scholarships offered to diabetic students by any organization?
We're unaware of any scholarships specifically for diabetes, but a search of college scholarship databases might find some. Tell your daughter to look in the web search engines like Yahoo, Webcrawler, and Alta Vista, and see what she comes up with!
Advice about which colleges give emotional support to students with diabetes is easier to give: They all will, if there's clear expectations of issues to be dealt with.
Your daughter might consider the following on her personal checklist:
- Talk to the staff at the Student Health Service and check with them about guidelines (if any) for diabetes, especially for disposal of syringes.
- Take copies of recent medical records along; either leave them with the Student Health Service, or keep them in the dorm room.
- Ask her present Diabetes Team for a listing of Diabetes Teams, or endocrinology doctors, near the campus: either in the same town, or within a hundred miles or so.
- Notify dorm parents or other authorities of the need to treat hypoglycemia with food if needed.
- Bring along a basic diabetes primer (available from her Diabetes Team, JDF, or ADA office) to hand out to any and all interested people on campus.
Original posting 14 Feb 96
|Return to the Top of This Page|
Last Updated: Tuesday April 06, 2010 15:08:52
This Internet site provides information of a general nature and is designed for educational purposes only. If you have any concerns about your own health or the health of your child, you should always consult with a physician or other health care professional.
This site is published by T-1 Today, Inc. (d/b/a Children with Diabetes), a 501c3 not-for-profit organization, which is responsible for its contents. Our mission is to provide education and support to families living with type 1 diabetes.
© Children with Diabetes, Inc. 1995-2018. Comments and Feedback.